-B2- Chapter 76

Warning!

This chapter may be intense for some readers. If you struggle with mental health issues, self-harm, or suicidal thoughts, do not read this but seek help from a trusted friend, family member, or someone else you trust. Remember, reaching out for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. You are not alone, and there are people who care about you.

-

The hooves of the horses echo against the stones. Occasionally, a stone flies over the bumpy path, bouncing into one of the narrow, swiftly flowing mountain streams. The wind is cold, despite the sun shining in the sky.

Never before have I been this high in these mountains. Surrounded by nothing but stones, grass, and endless mountain peaks, no signs of humanity or anything other than the occasional lonely bird heard once an hour.

As we ascend, vegetation diminishes along the rocks. Flowers become scarce, and trees have been absent for hours. The water's flow intensifies, the streams widen, and the air grows colder.

At the beginning of our journey, Alisha and Novak engage in conversation, but as the mountain becomes steeper, the conversation fades. Elien finds his place in the air, not setting foot on the ground for hours. The mountain imposes silence on us, coupled with the fear of what lies ahead and the uncertainty of success.

'The horses can't go further; it's too steep,' Alisha finally speaks after hours. It's the point we all knew was coming but tried to postpone. Not only do we have to continue on foot, but Novak, Elien, and I will proceed while Alisha stays with the horses. It's a moment we all avoided discussing or thinking about.

Saying goodbye, a sentiment I've grown to detest.

In silence, Novak and I dismount, gather the few necessary items we can carry, and turn to Alisha. With a meaningful smile, she stands beside the horses, a smile reflecting gratitude, friendship, pain, and fear.

'See you in a few hours,' she says with a slight tremor in her voice before taking a step forward, pulling me into an embrace. Her heartbeat pounds against my chest, betraying the fear she tries to conceal.

'Thanks, for everything,' softly leaves my mouth against her shoulder. My arms loosely wrap around her waist, hoping it makes it easier to pull away.

'You too. I have no regrets, none at all.' Tears begin to sting my eyes. A phenomenon I consider a sign to step back, offer her a grateful smile, and walk away, fearing I may never leave.

'If you're not back by morning, I'll search for you,' she declares, reminding us of the agreement.

'I'll send Elien if there's anything you need to know,' Novak responds, and Alisha nods, giving her a final hug before walking past me.

The last glance Alisha and I share holds more emotions than words will ever capture. My constant companion, the girl who saved my life, and above all, my first friend. With nothing but gratitude and love, I gaze into her blue eyes.

However, it's the subtle nod of her head that gives me goosebumps. Hands behind her back, eyes and face focused on the ground, a gesture of the purest respect. A gesture I previously received only because I bore the title of crown princess. A title I no longer hold, a gesture she was not instructed to make.

I give a single nod in response before turning around and not looking back.

My weakened body protests as I try to climb the mountain with the last remnants of energy and strength. My legs have been sore for hours, the world spins before my eyes, and breathing is laborious. In the first few hours, I wonder if I will reach the top before dying. Every step, breath, or movement is painful.