-B2- Chapter 24

Dinner begins, the party begins and all to celebrate my just-concluded marriage to Walmoet. The moment we stepped off the altar hand in hand, people kept clapping until we walked into the square. The three white tables expanded to seven large tables, all decorated just a little more festively than this morning. My newlywed husband sits to my right, Novak to my left and the rest of the table is occupied by the other women and important men I don't know.

Unlike breakfast, this time I get to eat all the courses. My empty stomach is happy with that change. The five different dishes, from soup to a stew, and even the cake go to the back. Drinks are no longer sparingly served either. The water and dirty green juices have given way to various wines and fruit liqueurs. I almost feel guilty saying I am enjoying myself.

The conversations at the table are cheerful and everyone seems to have forgotten all the formalities. Even Walmoet has funny stories about his childhood and travels he has made. Curiously, Novak seems to be the only one who does not participate fully in the conversations. He sits next to me somewhat defeated and says little. I can't quite place the reason why he is seated next to me. One would expect Walmoet to want to keep him away from me on the contrary. Walmoet knows well enough what bond I share with Novak.

The moment the tables are cleared and dinner switches to the party, I have enough booze behind my teeth to see the world more blurred. Walmoet pulls me into the temple and onto the dance floor. A trio of elves stand on instruments providing the temple with music. The sun begins to disappear behind the sky. I let Walmoet make me suffer, forgetting reality.

I seem to forget for a second the wedding night that is starting to get closer and closer as soon as Walmoet expertly spins me across the floor. The entire village has settled in and around the temple. The congratulations reverberate around our ears, as does the music. Supplies of booze will have to be replenished after this evening, and the cooking never seems to stop.

The first elves leave the temple late, heading home and to bed. I haven't felt my feet for hours, I've lost the veil somewhere and I've lost count of how many glasses of apple liqueur I've drunk away. Walmoet, Novak, Alisha and many others helped me across the dance floor. Novak tried several times to pull me into a difficult conversation but I don't want to face reality.

'Lady Celeste, will you follow me?' Elia asks in my ear once only about 30 elves are left at the party.

'Where to?' I get released with a double-tongue.

'The night departure for the moon ceremony.' Those are the words that knock me back into reality. I immediately pause and look at her for a moment in silence. Finally, I nod and walk with her to a room I haven't been to before. As soon as the white door opens I look around the room. A huge white double bed stands in the middle of the room. It is a four-poster bed and has a white semi-transparent curtain hanging at the sides. There is another door that will probably lead to a bathroom.

I know which room this is, I know that in the bathroom there is a hatch in the floor that will lead to a secret corridor. On either side of the room is a cupboard. Immediately I understand Novak's comment. The cabinet on the right, that's where the dagger is. I hope to have a moment when I am alone here before Walmoet comes, that one moment.

Elia slowly starts undressing me while I try to remember the whole plan. All the clothes and jewellery I was wearing are taken off and folded. My hair is taken off and even the petticoat is changed to a white nightgown with green lace.

The moment Elia finishes I expect her to bow and leave the room. Instead of what I expect her to do she walks to the door, opens it and stands beside it with her hands behind her back. I look at her questioningly before looking at the wardrobe. I must have that dagger before Walmoet is in here.