-B2- Chapter 84

I knew my father was a tyrant, but such a coward is new to me. The man packed his things the moment we arrived in Mita because he knew he wouldn't survive.

Coward.

Sighing, I sit up straight again and pick up the next three papers from the stack.

'A dead king is no king, but a coward who runs is no better. The king is dead, one way or another. May he rot in hell.' The room remains silent as I place the new papers for Diana and Galen in front of me.

'I have no interest in the crown, nor does Elien. Franders is dead. The next in line is the head of the Dawn, but we won't make it that simple,' I begin, pointing my pen at the middle paper before them.

'We're not stepping down, which means you'll only rule as regent in my name. Make one wrong move, and I will take the crown myself.' Galen and Diana remain motionless, staring at the papers.

'Your children will not be heirs unless I decree it, and my share of my father's inheritance is mine, just as Elien's share is his. Novak, Alisha, Elien, and I all have a lifetime pardon for any crimes committed in killing the king.' They both nod slowly, still in disbelief.

I take three new papers and place them in front of them.

'In my current title as queen, I am changing the following rules: the abolition of oppression with the underworld, fair trade at the same prices as for mages. Freedom of movement throughout the land, including mage cities. Abolition of the blood tax on vampires. Freedom for local rulers to shape their own culture and rules, as long as they align with the crown's code of conduct. Freedom of speech for women. Punishment for rape...' I read out each new or abolished rule I've been working on for months and point them out on the three new papers.

For a long time, I wondered if I wanted anything to do with the crown and if I wanted to wield my power before making Galen my regent. Ultimately, it was Elien who made me realize that this was the moment to enact the change we so desperately wanted. I am realistic enough to know that I cannot change the country in a few hours by adjusting rules, but change is necessary for a better world.

I take the last paper once I have gone through all the rules and place the paper with the fewest words but the hardest message in front of them.

'If you or anyone in your name or command fails to comply with or violates any of these demands and rules, Elien or I will personally murder your entire family before your eyes, after which you'll rot in the dungeons. You have no right to a trial and no authority to arrest me or Elien,' I conclude, placing my pen on the paper in front of the stunned people across from me.

Diana and Galen look at each other in astonishment, not comprehending what is happening to them. The fear for the future is visible in their eyes.

'What happens if the king returns?' Galen asks softly without looking up from the papers.

'The king will not return,' I reply resolutely. He will die, not today, not tomorrow, but before he gets the chance to come back. My quest is not over until I see him take his last breath.

'You hate me,' Diana says breathlessly. I grin at her.

'With a passion.'

'Why choose me?' Her eyes glide over me and meet mine.

'Because you have something to lose and are smart enough to know that every wrong step you take could cost you everything. I may not be the one who takes your life now or the person who puts a knife in your back, but that day will come. Maybe tomorrow, maybe years later, but a day will come when you'll have to pay the price.' Her brown eyes dart fearfully from me to the unsuspecting Galen before she slowly nods and looks away.

Doubt fills Galen's eyes as he picks up the pen from the desk with his left hand. A sigh escapes his lips as he looks at the papers.

'Is this a joke?' he asks.

'No.' Another sigh escapes his lips before he looks at me.

'Where do I sign?' With those words, Galen signs away his freedom for the highest title in the land, and I sign my and Elien's freedom from that prison. Each paper is adorned with our signatures until both Elien and I, as well as the country, have a new chance.

You would think that receiving the title of king and queen would make you happy, but Galen and Diana sit there as if their beloved had died. No joy, no ambition, no pride. They sit motionless, defeated, and fearful as I stack the papers and put them back in the folder.

Elien silently walks back to the door, and I rise from my chair as well.

'Long live the king and queen.'

With those words, I leave the office, entering the dark corridors. The black and blue decor, accented with red, remains silent as Death makes its way through. The sound of Death's footsteps echoes against the stones, paving a path to the exit of hell.

The hell I once called home, the prison I never seemed to escape, the place that will always hold a piece of my soul.

Some will ask how you survive hell, longing for nothing else while they burn, craving freedom. But the burning and longing are not the hardest part of that journey, and freedom is an illusion.

The memories, the images, the feelings, and the scars never disappear.

How do you live with hell? That's the real question.

A question I still need to find my answer to, if I ever do.

Even as I look at Novak and Alisha, standing at the bottom of the long castle staircase, I don't know. When I look at Elien, walking ahead of me, I know even less.

Still, I will have to find a way someday, but how long that will take remains to be seen.

If life was peaceful, wouldn't we get bored?

Days, weeks, years, time will tell.

The End

The end of the second book! I find it hard to believe myself. Of course, there will be an acknowledgment section, and the series continues in the third book called "Shadow Lives." It is already online, so add it to your library quickly!

" It is already online, so add it to your library quickly!