Chapter 31

Enjoy

"I will be travelling tomorrow. Something urgent came up." Mahmud said,staring at his wife.

It been three weeks since the couple got married. They have been living like strangers. The only time they talk is when they exchange pleasantries or when Noorie calls him to eat. Other than that,they rarely talk. The duo bury their heads in work.

Mahmud started working a week after the wedding while Noorie will be starting her NYSC next month. She will be serving at the National hospital.

"Okay." She muttered and continue stirring the egusi soup she is cooking. Since today is saturday,she decided to make egusi soup and poundo yam. Even though her relationship with Mahmud is not like that of other couples out there,she makes sure she cooks for him. The only thing she enjoys doing apart from reading is cooking. She suddenly developed a soft spot for cooking after her marriage.

Mahmud who was already used to her attitude gave her a small smile and left the kitchen to his room. No doubt he is going to work there. That is the only thing that keeps him sane in the house. Living with a wife that doesn't talk to you can be so frustrating.

Noorie simply rolled her eyes at him. She is glad he is travelling. Afterall the house will be much more fun without him. She will get to invite Asmau to stay with her. Asmau hasn't visited since after the wedding. Goggo said she should leave the couples alone. She said they are still in their honeymoon phase.

Noorie couldn't help but chuckle at Goggo's words.

She is very excited Mahmud is travelling. She made a mental note to call Asmau later.

Taking two plates,she dished mahmud's food and hers. She told her housemaid to dish her food and that of the gatekeeper.

She walked to Mahmud's room after keeping the food on the dinning table. The door to his room was slightly opened. She peeped through it and saw that he was on a call with someone. Although she didn't know who.

Noorie had no intention of listening to his conversations,but had to when she heard her name.

"I am tired. I don't know what to do again." Mahmud signed,massaging his forehead. The person on the other line said something to him as he listened carefully.

"I have been trying my best. She doesn't want me. I have tried to make our relationship work,but she clearly doesn't want that." He said,slightly annoyed.

Mahmud was not lying when he said he tried to make their relationship work. He has been trying to talk to Noorie about it,but she shush him whenever he talks about it. Noorie doesn't disrespect him,but she gives him a lot of attitude.

"I am tired,Aneesah. I don't know what to do." Affan said,massaging his forehead. Noorie thought he was reporting her to Aneesah. She rolled her eyes and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Mahmud muttered,after saying bye to his sister. He hope she didn't hear his conversation.

"Food is ready." She said and went out of the room the same way she came inside. Affan came down shortly and the couples ate their food in silent. Each lost in their own thought.

Noorie cleared the table after they finished eating and disappeared into her room.
................
Sunday came sooner than expected. Noorie was overjoyed. She will finally get time to gist with Asmau. Her biggest problem is travelling,which is Mahmud.

"Uhm....can I talk to you?" Mahmud asked Noorie,nervously. She looked up at him with raised eyebrows,wondering why he is suddenly nervous. She Hope he didn't cancel his plans on travelling.