Chapter 42

"Where is your son?" Noorie asked Nafisa who was sitting on the floor. She just came back downstairs and met her sitting there.

"Habiba wants to feed him. He woke up after you left." She replied. Her eyes were bloodshot red due to how much she cried.

"Okay." Noorie nodded. "Why exactly did you come here? I don't understand you,Nafisa. You want me to adopt your son or what?" Noorie didn't care if she sounded rude. She is tired of being nice.

"I have been taking care of him for the past six years. Why will I come here just to tell you to adopt him? I need your help." Nafisa said. Noorie knew she didn't come here just to tell her about Mahmud. She came here for something else.

"With what?" Noorie asked,staring at her.

"I am dying,Noorie. I have leukemia. I have spent all the money I have on my treatment." She replied,fighting back her tears.

"So you came here for money?" Noorie asked with raised eyebrows.

"I didn't come here for your money. I have accepted my fate. I can easily get more money for my treatment,but I don't want my son to suffer. I want to save the money for him. I just want you to take care of my child when I am gone. I have barely a month left. I don't want him to suffer because of my mistakes. None of this is his fault. He is innocent. Please help me,Noorie. I don't want you to look at my son as your late husband's illegitimate child. I want you to look at him as your own son. You are the only hope I have left. I don't want to burden Maryam with my problems. She has done a lot for me." The stored tears continued to flow down her cheeks.

Noorie didn't know what to say. She opened her mouth and closed it,unable to utter a word. Now she understands what it is like to be a mother.

"What if everything you told me is a lie? What if your son is not Mahmud's biological son. Mahmud is dead. How can you prove to me he is actually Mahmud's son?" Noorie asked,trying so hard to sound unaffected.

"Mahmud's parent are alive. It is possible to compare my son's DNA fingerprint with their profiles." She replied.

Noorie knew she was right,but she was finding it hard to agree with her.

"So what do you want me to do? I should tell my mother-in-law about him? Nafisa you are not making sense. Mahmud got intimate with you and he doesn't even know? How is that possible?" Noorie asked,raising her voice a little.

"I can't come all the way here to lie. I have been taking care of him since I gave birth. I can't continue taking care of him because of my health. Do you think it is easy knowing you will die soon? Just take a good look at me. Do I look healthy to you.? Take a look at my head." She said,removing her scarf. "Can you see any hair on it? I had to shave my hair because of my treatment. I will never lie to you. Please believe me." She beseeched,weeping quietly.

"Why didn't you go to his grandmother's house? Why have you decided to come here? I am sorry,but I can't help you. Let me tell Habiba to bring your son so you can leave." Noorie said and got up from the couch.

"I don't blame you." She said and chuckled. You don't know what it is like to have a child outside wedlock. You stay in this house comfortably. Your life is perfect. You went to school and became a doctor. You have a family that supports you. I was wrong to think you will ever understand me. You are not even a mother so you can never understand what it is like to bring a child to this world." She said,shaking her head in pity.

"Watch your tongue,Nafisa. I won't tolerate you insulting me like this. Perfect? You said my life is perfect? Do you know the kind of pain I have endured in my perfect life? You are just saying nonsense. I won't waste my time talking to you. You and your son should get the hell out of this house!" Noorie yelled and left the living room. What does Nafisa think? She will accept her and the boy?
.............
"Assallamu'alaikum." Noorie muttered,walking into the living room.

"Please sit down. She will join you shortly." The  young girl said and smiled.

"Okay." Noorie muttered and sat down. Her mum came into the living room,wondering why her daughter is here.

"Noorie!" Her mum called. She sat on a couch,staring at her daughter. "Why are you here?" She asked,curiously.

"I am here to see you. I need answers to my questions." She replied,staring at her mum.

"Questions?" Her mum asked.

"Yes." She replied. "I need you to be honest with me. I am tired of living like this. I need to know my biological parents. You don't need to take me there. Just give me their address and I will go there myself." Noorie replied,staring at her mum. Salma was taken aback by her daughter's words. The old Noorie will never talk to her like this.

"What are you talking about?" Her mum asked,trying to act confused.

"Where is my father?" Noorie asked,staring at her with narrowed eyes.

"I don't want to talk about him." She replied.

"Are you even my mother? I have so many questions for you. What did I do to you? Why are you treating me like your enemy? My husband had an accident and he slipped into coma. He was in coma for almost a year. You didn't visit even once. You were never there when I needed you. Why? I am your daughter. Even if I offended you,can't you forgive me? What did my father do that hurt you so much? A grown up like me who doesn't know her father. It is not fair." Noorie said at the verge of tears.

Her mum simply stared at her. Honestly she also doesn't know why she treats her daughter like that. Maybe because she has refused to move on from the past.

"I don't want to talk about him,Noorie." She said,staring at her. The truth will only hurt her. Noorie will hate her if she tells her the truth.

"Why?" She asked,barely above a whisper. "Do you know what happened today?" She asked,staring at her mum. "Someone came to see me today with a small boy. She claimed he is Mahmud's son." Noorie said,wiping away her tears. Her mum stared at her with a neutral expression.

"You don't look surprised or anything. Does that mean you knew about it?" Noorie asked,confused.

"Please leave my house. You and Nafisa can settle whatever problem you have. Do not involve me in your problem." Her mum said,staring at her feet.

Noorie was very confused. How did she know her name is Nafisa? "What are you talking about? Where did you know Nafisa from? I am confused." She came here to get answers to her questions,but she is getting more questions instead of answers.

"Noorie!" Her mum called.

"Yes." She replied.

"You should stop looking for answers that will hurt you. I have all the answers you are looking for but I can't tell you. I am sorry." Her mum said and got up from the couch.

"The truth about my father will hurt me? I am not leaving this house without my answers." Noorie said,making her stop.

"You want to know the truth? You think you will be happy? I will tell you the truth!" Her mum yelled,glaring at her.

"I killed your father! You want to know the truth right? That is the truth! I killed him!" Her mum yelled and fell down on her knees. You can never hide the truth forever. Salma tried to hide the truth from her daughter because the truth will only hurt her.

Assallamu'alaikum

How are you?

I am so sorry for not updating. I had a lot of things to deal with😭😭

Do you think Nafisa is telling the truth?

Salma killed her husband. Is she telling the truth?

What do you think of the chapters?

Adios❤️