Second first meeting

This chapter is dedicated to nerdster2112  and Lunaways. By the way, go check out their profiles!!!
    The weekend sailed past. I dreaded facing Melissa on Monday. I understood her reaction from that day. The boy who used to be your best friend, asks you if you're new to the school. Just, ouch.

    Time flew by and it was seventh hour. I had explained the situation to Coach yesterday, so I had gotten a reprieve for today. I headed to the library and began to look for Melissa. I found her sitting at a table at the back of the library, engrossed in a book.

     She had left her hair open today, except for her hair in the front, which was pinned to the sides. Her bangs framed her bespectacled face. She was wearing a pink top with a beige wrap around skirt that reached her knees. She would have looked like a cheerleader if it wasn't for her pink, printed Keds.

   I cleared my throat, making her jump. I grinned at her as I slipped into the seat opposite to her. She acknowledged me with a nod and brought out some books. "Why choose a seat so far from the entrance? Scared the librarian will catch us doing something wrong?" I teased, wiggling my eyebrows at her. She snorted with disgust. "The librarian trusts me a lot more than you think. I chose this seat so that nobody would see the great Derek Fields being tutored by the 'geek'"she said sarcastically. She looked very annoyed, like she hated my very name. I sighed. "Look, I'm sorry about that day, okay? Melissa?" I said. Saying her name seemed to calm her down a bit. "Learned my name, have you?"she muttered. "Whom did you have to ask?"she said. "I saw your name on your notebook." I said carelessly. Seeing her look of outrage, I added, "And we got the invitation to your sisters wedding. That's how I remembered you. Melissa, what happened to our friendship?" I asked her.

    "What's happened is that you are failing history and Mr.Jones is counting on me to help you."she said. We covered a whole chapter in that one hour. Melissa managed to make it so much more interesting. I managed to learn a lot more than what Mr.Jones managed to teach. When the bell rang, we headed to the exit together. As I left I asked her, "Same time next week?" She hesitated before answering. "Derek, I won't be coming to school next week because of the preparations for Remy's wedding. So we might have to work this entire week to make up." This was bad. I didn't have a free hour every day. "What are we gonna do?" I asked her. "Its obvious that we won't have any free hours the rest of the week. So the only option is to stay after school. We could go to my place and I could drop you home once we're done."she said. "Isn't your mom going to be busy, with the wedding?" I asked. "Yeah, but it's just an hour. Mum will understand." She assured me.

   "Okay then. Give me your number and I'll call you once I talk to my mom." I said. After I saved her number, Melissa gave me a small smile and walked away.