Rockaway Beach

The next day, we had breakfast at the hotels restaurant (which was pretty good). We feasted on blueberry pancakes with syrup and coffee from the closest Starbucks. Soon after that, we saw Mike's car pull up at the entrance of the hotel. I thought Mike wasn't joining us today. I peered inside and saw Remy driving. "Remy! You're not supposed to be driving!" I said worriedly. "Oh God! Why does everyone keep saying that? I'm pregnant. Not drunk." Remy said. "You are supposed to be careful, Remy." Melissa said climbing into the passengers seat. "Yeah that means be careful. Not be a fragile woman and wrap yourself in bubblewrap." Remy replied sarcastically. "Hey. Let the lady decide what's best for her and the baby." Jake said and he sat beside me in the back row. "Thank you Jake." Remy said. Leo got in after Jake and Gwen sat at the back with Amber. "Okay, all in?" Remy called out. "Yes." we chorused.

               With that Remy began our drive to Rockaway beach. That place was supposed to be great for families. We drove for about an hour and then we began to spot other beach-goers. They carried all sorts of things with them- mats, volleyballs, badminton racquets, umbrellas, coolers-as if they intended to spend the entire day there. "Some people do that." Remy said when I asked her about it. "In fact. I've carried some things for us. It's in a bag in the back." Remy said. She parked and we trooped to the beach. As soon as we set foot on the sand, Gwen stopped to take her shoes off. I raised my brow and she said, "I love feeling the sand beneath my feet. It's like a free foot massage." I grinned and followed suit. The sand was smooth under my feet. I looked around. The sun was bright and the beach was anything but deserted. Remy spread a mat near the water and sat down. She put on her sunglasses and brought out a book. "I'll be right here if you need me. Mike let me drive, but he will lose it if he finds out I went into the water. Just promise me you won't go too far." Remy said. In her long white sundress and sunglasses she looked like my mom. We promised her that we wouldn't go too far. Jake and Leo preferred to hang out in just their shorts, earning a lot of stares from the women. I decided to keep my t shirt on, for Melissa.
               Jake punched Leo's shoulder and said, "Race you losers to the water!" Jake took off and I and Leo followed him. Jake won because he had an obvious head start. I and Leo ran into the water after Jake, splashing water onto our clothes and other people as we tried to catch Jake. Before joining the football team, Jake was into swimming. So right now, we were in his domain. He slipped throough our fingers everytime we got close to him.

               After twenty minutes of trying to catch him, I gave up. I was completely drenched and the day had only begun. I walked back to where Remy was sitting with Melissa. "You didn't go with Gwen and Amber?" I asked Melissa. "They've only gone to get some soda. They'll be back now." Melissa said as she threw a towel at me. "What? You're pissed with me or something?" I asked. "No. I'm not." Melissa said in an annoyed tone. She handed me a spare t shirt from the bag she made me pack and I pulled her up by the wrist. "What happened?" I sked. Melissa wouldn't meet my eyes. "Lizzie?" I said narrowing my eyes at her. I left her hand and held her by the waist, pulling her close so that our noses were almost touching. "Lizzie c'mon. Don't act like this. What's wrong?" I asked as I cupped her cheek, forcing her to look at me. Melissa glared at me and Remy cleared her throat. Melissa immediately pulled away from me and went to help Gwen, who was carrying a large bag of snacks on her own. "Don't mind Liz. It's just that there was this blonde chick who was checking you out when you were in the water and Liz saw her, so she's a bit annoyed." Remy said to me, grinning openly. "That's it?" I snorted. Remy laughed. Gwen and Melissa came back with the supplies and lay them on the mat. I bent down to help and asked Gwen, "Wasn't Amber supposed to help you with this?" "Yeah she was, but this surfer dude came and began to flirt with her, so she left the job to me." Gwen sighed. "Poor Gwen." I said and I ruffled her hair. Gwen swatted my hand away and said, "Go talk to Melissa."