Chapter 63: Friends Are Family Too

'Twas the night before graduation and all through the valley Seniors were filled with joy and elation. Fun things had been planned by Dutch, you see. But poor Mary still struggled to write her valedictorian speech. Cries rang out, "Come on Mary! Relax, have some fun!" She would not have any of it... none, none, none. The speech is important and it came first. If she didn't get it done, hers would be the worst. While her friends played laser tag, drove bumper boats, and ate snow cones, she sat in her living room in the quiet all alone.

"Dumb stupid speech," she muttered to herself. All she has to do is finish it. Half of it is already written, but she'd struggled with the ending. Admittedly she would rather be out with her friends. 

A knock sounded at the door. Getting up to answer it, she saw Bobby. "Hi! I'm so glad you're here." She pulled him inside.

Bobby was surprised by her words. She had specifically told them all not to pester her, or anything, that evening. "You are?" 

"Yes! You can help me finish this thing. Then you can be my audience, so I can practice." She handed him the bowl of chips and bag of Twizzlers. "I need help and I'm stuck," she explained twirling her hair into a messy bun.

Bobby ate a handful of chips, while she fixed her hair. After the chips were eaten, and her hair was up, he asked "What are you stuck with?"

"I need something inspirational. I'm not feeling very inspiring. Plus I'm struggling to think of anything inspirational that happened this school year." It is a huge problem. Her mind is blank. 

As he ate more chips, and she ate a Twizzler, an idea came to him. "What about Cathy Redmond?  Remember how she had that car accident last year, and was in a coma for months? When she came to, she couldn't walk and was in a wheelchair. Now, through therapy and determination, she's walking again. Heck she even ran a 10K race and placed top ten. That's pretty inspirational." 

Well, big DUH to her. "Bobby! What would I do without you?" She kissed his cheek and set back to work. 

"I don't know. But if you finish in two hours, then you can go to the bonfire at the beach later," he reminded her. 

As she wrote she mentioned, "OK. If you want, you can go watch TV in the bedroom." He got up from the sofa. She handed him the bowl of chips. "Take these with you please." He did. While she wrote, he watched some weird Friday night movie. 

Mary wrote and wrote and wrote, until she finished. Once she edited her speech, she went to find Bobby. Entering the bedroom, she found him napping. He loves napping. If napping were an  Olympic sport, Bobby Brown would get the gold medal.

She set about waking him up, by crawling on top of him. Then she tickled him on his sides. He woke up and swatted her sneaky hands away. Amidst laughter he flipped them over and gave her a taste of her own medicine. "Stop! I forfeit,"  she insisted. The tickling turned to kissing. Kissing turned into something more heated. Hands began wandering, with Mary's hands touching his back under his shirt. They were so into their make out session, they failed to hear their friends enter the guest house. 

Johnny went to find them and entered the bedroom. His eyes bugged out of his head. "Whoa! I found them, hot and heavy," he yelled. He immediately turned around and left, laughing as he did so.

While Johnny was yelling, Bobby fell to floor (thanks to his poor reflexes and Mary pushing him). Totally dazed Bobby rubbed his head, from the fall. Mary righted her shirt and fixed her hair. She got up and tended to her fiancé. "Are you alright? That was a hard fall." She started feeling  his head for bumps.