Chapter 35: Freedom

Ashley began her story. "You see it all started after your confrontation with Christie, at the mall. You were sitting on Bobby's lap, off your own world, doing Mary and Bobby things. Christie had finished saying "One more thing..." 

Ashley stood up and approached. "What else do you want, you skanky shrew?"

 "TrAshley you're so funny," Christie said scrunching up her sharp nose in contempt. Ashley moved closer. She stared into the black holes of her icy eyes.

"I just wanted to tell Bloody Mary that I've entered the Tri Valley High School Beauty Pageant," her words were laced with fake sugar. Her gaggle of idiots had plastic smiles, on their perfect faces.

"Like Mary would care about some Pageant Barbie show," Ashley sneered with arms crossed.

"Oh she should. I've learned some new moves since our last dance competition. I've trained with top performers from The Royal Ballet. Mary could only dream of doing that," she stated snapping her claw-like fingers at her gaggle. They all turned to walk away.

Christie paused mid-turn and glanced back. "Did I forget to mention there will be scouts for the Radio City Rockettes in the audience? Oops. They're scouting for girls to perform in their 4th Of July Spectacular. Out of the kindness of my heart, I wanted to share this information."

Huffing, Ash said with a snide voice "I'm sure you did." 

In a cloud of big hair, and noxious perfume, Christie and her gaggle click-clacked away. They left Ashley stewing.

"Wow!" remarked Tommy breaking the silence. He scratched his head, and stated "I'm confused though." He turned to look at Mary. "How is it you didn't catch any of that conversation Mary? I remember, I was sitting by Gemma and even though we couldn't hear much, we still got the gist of it."

Mary glanced at the group. She shuffled her feet and turned to her boyfriend. He looked just as flushed and embarrassed as she felt. She declared to them, "It's like Ashley said. I was super caught up in Bobby's world. So much so, I totally tuned everything else out. What can I say, except I love him." She peered up at him. 

He flashed a sweet smile and said "I love you too." There were fake gags from the group and Tommy's cry of "get a room".

"Even so, it still doesn't explain what happened next," Gemma said. She didn't know the whole story, she just knew the outcome.

Bobby, pulled Mary to his front, and wrapped his arms around her from behind. Then he spoke, "Ashley none of that sounds terrible. You were defending your friend. Like Gemma said, none of it actually explains why you've been keeping secrets."

Ash pursed her lips and started pacing. "I know. Maybe this will help. Here's what came next..."

Ashley turned to Gwen, "Can you believe her? What an atrocious hag she is."

Staring daggers in the  wicked witch's direction, Gwen stated "She's a nasty piece of work for sure. She's just trying to goad Mary into entering that contest."

 "I wish she would enter the pageant, then maybe it would bring the witch down a peg," Ashley lamented. If her friend entered, it could change everything. Mary's the best dancer she knows. Even Gwen thinks so, and she dances at a top rival studio. Plus she's pretty too. She could win.

Gwen glanced at Mary. She seems so content being with Bobby, even if they're not dating... yet. The lame Barbie show isn't until March. March will be super busy with academic stuff, and college decisions... Mary will never do it. Even if the academic stuff was off the table, Mary hates pageants. She still wouldn't do it. So, she told Ashley as much.