ALWAYS

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: ALWAYS

" it will always be you,
because it's always been you. "

"I am sorry, ma." Yael apologizes without even looking straight at his own mother's eyes.

He's ashamed, embarrassed, and everything terrible. It was completely wrong to fall for his step-sister, he shouldn't have felt such a thing from the beginning and now it has gotten him to this point where he had to apologize to his parents.

"Yael, tingnan mo naman lang kami sa mata kung hihingi ka nang tawad." his mother spoke, he hesitated at first but he slowly made his way to his mother and his step-father's eyes.

They were no hint of anger, embarrassment, or even disappointment. They actually... look as if they feel sorry or pity towards him, but why?

"Bata ka pa noon, Yael."

"Pero 'di pa rin nawala yung naramdaman ko sa kanya, ma. I deserve to be punished for it--"

"Yael." he couldn't finish his sentence due to his step-father's sudden interruption by calling his name.

His step-father is Sophia's biological father, he should be scared because this is his daughter whom he fell for. It couldn't get any worse now, isn't it?

"Sinabi sa'kin nang mama mo ang totoo, na matagal mo nang gusto si Sophia, ang anak ko. Bakit... bakit 'di mo sinabi sa'min? Wala ka man lang bang tiwala sa'min?"

"No I..." Yael's hands began to sweat and so is his forehead.

"...natakot ako, kasi alam kong mali dahil mahal ka ni mama, ayokong alisin yung nagpapasaya kay mama so I didn't... I didn't say anything."

Both parents knew it. They both knew what he was going to say because at the end of the day this is Yael Heron Manuel, the good son, but the truth is he's the most selfless son who's gone through a lot and who's stood next to his mother no matter what the obstacle is.

He was selfless, and they both believed that it might kill him one day. They also knew that when it comes to feelings it is hard to hold them, especially when the person you hold feelings for is someone you live with in one household.

And for years after figuring out the truth, Yael did nothing but hold himself back. His parents trusts him, they trusted him because they knew he wasn't going to do anything, he's stayed the same and he'll always be him no matter what happens.

Bringing Sophia back to the province every summer is also good for Yael, it is a time for him to not hold anything back every once in a while.

"You're too nice, Yael. Hindi dapat ikaw ang humihingi nang tawad sa'min, it should've been us."

Yael shook his head immediately from their words.

"Dapat tinulungan ka man lang na'min, we could've helped you from--"

"You don't have to do that, pa. I'm... I'm okay now, alright... I just... I wanted to apologize."

He was confused, his parents shouldn't even be thinking of apologizing when it's his fault--when it's completely his fault!

"You were holding yourself back but it must have been hard for you too, Yael. 'Di ka na'min tinulungan, we just kept trusting you without thinking about how hard it would have been for you whenever Sophia was around you..."