Book 8: Death Valley

III. "You can wear the crown but you're no Princess."

15 March 2015, Sunday @ 12:04

Contains some border line feminism - but not really. I just don't know how to phrase it.

I don't claim to come from an affluent family with the best of everything. In fact, I almost pride myself on being from a single parent, middle class family who's worked for everything we have and who's had some struggles but have always come out on top. I, myself, have a daughter who's raised in a separated home who I'm also proud of because she already knows at the age of five that not everything gets handed out to you unless you work hard for it.

It's the "Princesses" with the silver spoons in their mouths that have been given everything by mommy and daddy that I pity. Yes, pity - not envy. How far would those select few people fall should they ever find themselves living in circumstances most people find normal? They may wear the jewel encrusted tiaras but they are by no means Princesses.

Let's look at some classic examples.

Cinderella was her step mothers maid - she worked her backside off to become a Princess.
Snow White had the trauma of having her step mother putting a hit out on her and having to flee her home out of fear for her life.
Sleeping Beauty didn't even know she was a Princess. She grew up like the rest of us.
Rapunzel was stolen from her parents and isolated for her whole life until Prince Charming stumbled upon her.

There are many more examples I could use but in reality, this is enough to highlight my point of this entry. The real princesses are the ones born without crowns who have worked to earn their crowns and can identify with the everyday average person. We are the strong women who will eventually lead the world hopefully to a different level of empathy and compassion that is very rarely seen in men (rarely - not altogether, there are exceptions.)

So next time you're watching TV or someone you know is bragging about something you can't have, take pride in knowing that they may have the Crown but they're not worthy of the title of a Princess until they've worked to earn those stripes.