Part 9: The Diagnosis

I was finally eighteen. For the last couple of months I was under CAMHS and they were taking notes to pass onto adult services so I could get my diagnosis. They didn't say I was defiantly going to get it but they wanted to help.

So their I was in a waiting room, waiting to be assessed. I don't remember the questions they asked me, I just remember feeling nervous. So they spoke to me separately and someone else spoke to my parents. After they'd discussed they invited us into a room to speak about their decision.

When I heard the words that I am autistic I just shut off from the rest of the conversation they were having. All I could think about was that I am autistic. I now understand why I struggle. I now understand why I don't understand things (I hope that makes sense). I now had an answer to why I keep fucking up my life. I could now get the support I needed. But that diagnosis didn't solve any of my past trauma.

They asked me if I had any questions, I didn't. I was speechless.

On the way home I was mainly silent, I don't remember what my parents spoke to me about. I just remember feeling relived yet scared. I had an answer for why my life was how it was but I was still afraid that even tho I have the diagnosis I'm still going to get myself involved in the same situations. My life wasn't going to change because of a diagnosis.