Chapter Twenty-Three

.               .               .

“I love you.” Harry spoke very sweetly as my tears filled my eyes. His eyes glazed into my eyes “please don’t cry…” He whipped the single salty tear away as it rolled down my cheek. “You too, you’re a little soft. Your eyes are welling up.” I reached one hand up to his cheek rubbing it with my thumb. With my other arm I was holding Harmony who kept grabbing hold onto Harry’s t-shirt, tugging it. She knew what was happening she started to make up words, the words sounded a lot like “no go Daddy.” Over and over she would say the words that sounded like “no go Daddy, no go.” It didn’t help with the tears in my eyes. She had just got there Dad back and now he has to go away again. Not for as long but it will be long for Harmony and I.

“I better be off.” Harry chocked on his words. I ran my fingers under his beanie hat, intertwining them with his beautiful brown curls as he lent forward kissing me softly on the lips. It was a short kiss but the kiss felt as if time stopped just for us.

“I love you Harry.”

“I’ll ring you everyday. Text you like all the time and yeah…”

“Oh Harry.” I pulled my hand out of his hat, running in down his cheek then back down to my side. “Bye Hammie, look after Mummy.” Harmony nodded her little head up and down with a smile on her face but she still had a tight grip on Harry’s top. “Hammie, time to let go.” Her hand fell from Harry.

Harry flicked his hair and licked his lips then kissed me on the forehead. He did the same to Harmony then got into the Range Rover. He waved. Harmony and I waved back as Harry started the car up.

As he drove away, the front door opened behind me.

“M-Melody.” I heard my mum’s voice behind me, but something wasn’t right about it. It was sweet. It wasn’t happy like normal. It was cold. Flat. I turned around and looked at a woman, she was my mother but she seemed soulless, almost unrecognisable… Her skin was dry, her eyes… lifeless. She had no colour in her face what so ever. “Mum?” I almost questioned myself. “Come in.” Her shaking hand reached for mine. I didn’t take hold of it. I grabbed my suitcases and held Harmony tightly in my other arm. “Where’s –” I was about to ask where dad was but he walked around the dark corner.

The house was so dark. The curtains were closed in every room. My dad looked as soulless and dead as my mum did.

“Take it.” His voice crocked. “What’s going on?” I felt my grip tighten on Harmony as my mum came closer to me. “Mum?!” I stepped backwards, dropping my suitcase. “Pass me Harmony.” I started to shake as I wrapped my other arm around Harmony. “Stay away from Harmony!” I snapped.

All of the sudden my dad grabbed my waist tightly whilst mum pulled Harmony harshly out of my arms causing her to cry in pain. “LET GO OF ME!” I screamed “GIVE ME MY BABY BACK!” Tears blurred my version but Harmony’s cries were as loud as ever. “NO! NO!”  I cried out as my Father pulled my body upstairs. I kicked my legs, punching, screaming.

The gripped of my Fathers arms sent pain through my body, crushing my lungs making it hard to breath. But I still let out screams. Screams saying ‘No’ over and over.

“HARMONY?!” I called, “HARRY?!” I know Harry couldn’t or wouldn’t hear me but I felt the need to scream his name. “THAT BOY WILL NEVER HELP YOU!” He spat on me as he said the word ‘Boy’. His hands let go of me. I turned around and slapped him across the face. Hard.