Chapter 14. Sea of fire

Warning: Violence.

Michael stared into the dancing fire in front of him. His hands were rough from all the laborious work. The perimeter had been secured to his best knowledge. No one should be able to find them here, angel or human, but his mind still couldn't rest. He didn't have much, but he would die before letting anyone come in and take the little that was his.

***

Spring has come back to Ayham. The birds sing joyously everywhere; the sun never sleeps; and the line of people wrapping around the Labor and Human Social Affairs Bureau is getting longer every day.

The newly passed law is no small effort from Michael. He wants to make sure that, first and foremost, human servants and domesticated companions would get better treatment while they are alive and employed. All forms of abuse from angel employers would be outlawed and punished accordingly. Humans could apply to get their contracts redone or canceled with a severance package. Secondly, the eternal contracts that they were unknowingly and unjustly submitted to would be abolished.

Michael never had the desire to employ human servants in the first place, and after spending time with Kye, he has realized that the one thing all humans want, even more than wealth or safety, is their freedom. It is just wrong to imprison a soul for eternity. His kind should have known better. They should have done better, but this new law will be a start. Michael wants to show his sincerity and determination to maintain peace and order. To improve life for her kind as a whole. Nothing he wants more than angels and humans find a way to coexist long-term and to achieve that, Michael must break some customs and take away some privileges from the angels.

This, of course, has caused some discontent among the ranks. Not all angels put their servants and domesticated companions in soul-binding contracts, but they are unhappy nonetheless when their "rights" are taken away. Even human councilmen and women advise him not to do so or to "take it slow."

Michael bulldozed through it all.

The angels need to understand that not only will their jobs be easier if humans truly cooperate, but also this is the right way to govern. Fear and oppression can only go so far. Everyone knows humans and angels will never truly be equal in terms of power, but both sides can learn to yield and work together. It will benefit them all.

Deep down inside, Michael knows this is for Kye. It all happens because of her. He wants her to feel more secure about him and the future. Theirs. He wants to prove that no matter what, he will always be on her side.

Michael's schedule has become so hectic because of the endless hunt for Alastair. The last time he got a lead on the human, Alastair was on an abandoned ship out in the middle of the gulf. It was supposed to be a floating fortress with all kinds of angel wardings—far more sophisticated than any at the Resistance camps. Michael suspects Alastair may have an extra secret hideout on one of the small, no-name islands nearby. The fog has helped him, and the sea is often turbulent. The area is surrounded by dangerous shallow patches, riddled with underwater rocks. Many experienced crews avoid this route altogether if they can.

Michael has known who is behind Alastair for some time now, but he still hasn't made a move. He knows a smart thing to do would be to cut off the snake's head immediately, but Michael can't bring himself to do so. He prays his wayward brother won't push his limit.

Lucifer was the fledgling Michael pulled out of the Mold and held close to his heart at the Beginning—the one whom he taught to pull a bow, to wield a sword—The one who followed him around like a shadow. Michael kneeled and begged Father not to end Lucifer that day. He begged Him to give Lucifer a chance and time to learn. He didn't know Father would go as far as taking his brother's grace away. It was cruel, even by Michael's standards.