24 - Mother and Daughter Moment [FINAL]

PhilSecta Quarter, Secret Society

The largest room in the secretive underground building will be occupied by top officials from both government organizations, appointed by the president herself.

They discussed something on the shared platform with strong seriousness exuding throughout the corners of the room.

Well before that... let's go back in time.

--

On a very hot day that seemed to announce the arrival of the hellish summer, a young woman in a modified lab coat, wearing a toddler dress underneath it, was called to an air-conditioned office.

She knocked cutely on the door of the room in question and entered.

PhilSecta's Top Head, Anna Montes, former chief master sergeant of the Philippine Army, was awaiting her with a raised eyebrow.

Anna had resigned from her post earlier that year, as she was beginning to feel the effects of her encroaching old age due to fostering a child, an order she couldn't disobey.

Despite this, her body and mind were still built like a mountain and vast ocean.

The former chief master sergeant with burning black-red hair glared down at her 6-year-old foster child.

Lily Sagrada, a former orphan who had graduated from the quantech curriculum at the Secret Society academy the previous year, sighed inwardly.

"You summoned me, Mama Anna?" she asked without a shred of enthusiasm. Letting out another sigh as she noticed that Anna's glare had only intensified, Lily shrugged.

The gesture shook her slightly curly locks, which were the color of fresh obsidian.

Lily was a little girl with an attractive cute face, tall and fit compared to her male counterparts her age. She had shoulder-length hair that was carelessly tied off at the back of her head, it appeared completely black at first glance, but contained some shimmering white highlights upon closer inspection.

Her downturned, blood-like eyes exuded a gentle disposition that was quite popular among the female students back when she'd attended the academy.

Anna Montes, the country's best agent and assassin, looked away from her daughter in exasperation and shook her head.

Then, she returned her gaze.

"Lily, they're interviewing for the Department of National Defense Secretary position today. Go and apply, now."

"Ah...?" Lily blurted out.

"Did you not hear me? I told you to go, now."

"Well, that's news to me. You said 'today'? Where am I supposed to go, anyway?"

Lily asked quickly, then let out a long sigh as she let her shoulders fall.

"Besides... There's no way I'll make it. Even if I did, I don't even want to be involved in politics. And isn't there an age restriction?"

She twisted her cute face in disgust.

"I'm not going."

Lily turned right around, reaching for the door handle. Just then, something flew by her ear with a whoosh, followed by the sound of something striking the wall.

Lily carefully turned towards the source to find a blade, polished thoroughly enough to reflect her like a mirror, stuck into the wall. And it was no common modern weapon, but the very national artifact claymore from a European country owned by Anna Montes.