Chapter 21

I've immediately regretted thinking that my parents didn't love me. I regretted na sinisi ko silang dalawa when all along it was my fault. Kung hinayaan ko lang na mag-effort sila sila sa akin, hindi sana ako nahihirapan na i-sink in na isang araw wala na sila sa tabi ko.

I couldn't bring myself to believe that they're sick. Never kong i-ni-magine na sabay pa silang kukunin sa akin ni Lord. I would pray every night that He heals them both.

Mommy has Alzheimer's disease and Daddy has cancer. They don't deserve that. Sana ako na lang ang kinarma. I was their bad daughter.

So after my exams at school, kinausap ko si Pierre. I told him I wanted us to talk about something. Ngayon ko pa lang sasabihin sa kanya ang mga nangyari these past few days concerning my parents. And I'm nervous about what I'm going to ask of him, the favor that I wanted him to agree.

My mind flew two days ago. My parents and I have made up. We had dinner that night, masaya kahit may kasama pa ring lungkot. That dinner was the happiest moment of my life. It was a shame that I'm counting the days na kailangan na nila ng treatment.

"That's why, your Dad and I wanted to live sa States as soon as possible, anak. We wanted to get our treatment together in the best hospital overseas," si Mommy.

"I'm sorry for bringing this topic, Daesiree," Daddy began. "But we really need your help for our corporation. If there's a slight hope that you would agree to take my position as the president, I will."

Hinawakan ni Mommy ang kamay ko. Her eyes were hopeful too just like Dad.

"I'm sorry that we're thinking of marrying you off with Lorenzo. It was the only option that we could think of."

Napayuko na lamang ako. I wonder why in a span of hours, I understand them more now. Kaya mukhang desperado si Mommy ng araw na 'yon because they're worried about the corporation's future. And I'm worried for them. Because they shouldn't think of that ngayong mas kailangan ng kanilang katawan ng buong atensyon.

In the span of hours, I started to think that marrying Kuya Renz is the least that I can do for them. But can I stomach it? Can I marry my boyfriend's brother?

I spent a couple of days thinking about it. If it is the most effective and efficient solution for the corporation. In my opinion, yes. Because there's no question that Kuya Renz can take good care of it. But that means leaving Pierre. That means hurting ourselves. I don't think I can do it.

Besides that, I spent my days with Mommy. We're trying na bawiin ang napakaraming taon na hindi kami magkasundo. I let her spoil me with gifts, but most especially time and effort. Si Daddy naman, he tried to eat breakfast and dinner with us while handling the corporation. I couldn't ask for more. Parang sa buong week na 'yon, nabuo ang pamilya ko...walang labis at walang kulang.

Napansin din ni Pierre ang kakaibang mood ko. Mas naging masiyahin kasi ako, but still stressed dahil sa nadagdagan na isipin. Hindi man alam ni Pierre ang buong istorya, he continued to pick me up to school. Tuwing dinner, he would join us for dinner. And now, I've decided to tell him the truth about my parents and the future of our corporation. Excluding my parent's plan for me.

"So...I wanted to talk to you about what happened last week. I know I didn't have the time to tell you kasi mas pinili kong bigyan nang atensyon sina Mommy at Daddy." I let out a sigh. "But now, I'm ready."

Malambot ang tinging ipinukol niya sa akin. He was the best boyfriend I have. His efforts are beyond what I could imagine. I don't think I'm sane right now if it wasn't for him.

"Last week, they confronted me. Rainne visited them daw and told them about everything I'm hiding from my parents."

Pinisil ni Pierre ang kanang kamay ko. Nararamdaman ko ang init mula ro'n. I calmed down a bit. I can't control my heartbeats to slow down. Because I know after this, Pierre may or may not understand me.