Chapter 38

Right after the event, tumawag si Daddy para kumustahin ako. He asked me to have lunch with him together with Kuya Renz again. It's still about the transferring of position. Maybe today I can sink in what Daddy has to tell me, unlike yesterday.

"Let's go."

Nagulat ako sa biglang pagsasalita ni Pierre. Nandiyan na pala siya. Ibinaba ko ang bintana para magpaalam kay Law at Dave na nakatingin sa 'min.

"Let's hang out soon!"

Law put his hands between his mouth and shouted, "Don't want to! Take care of yourself!"

I grinned and waved at them. Tumahimik na ako pagkatapos kumaway. Bumalik sa akin ang isinagot ni Pierre sa panghuling tanong ng Daesies sa kanya. He was asked for his opinion about two years ago.

Pierre asked me if he could answer that. It's the only question that's involved my past. Ngumiti lang ako sa kanya. Concern was all over his face compared to his usual look earlier in the event. Nanlambot ang katawan ko sa sagot niya.

"Before the event, I asked Dae if I could talk to the media in her place. I respected her decision. I protected her with my might, but it wasn't enough. It outraged me that she had to get through with that horrifying incident. I swore that I would do everything for her nonstop. I'm pleased that she's fine now, and she's content. She's fortunate that she has you."

I realized I was too harsh and too quick to leave him. I wiped the tear that fell on my cheek upon remembering that. I wanted to talk to him badly. I wanted him back.

Nagpahatid ako sa restaurant na dating pinuntahan din namin ni Pierre. My father and Kuya Renz was waiting for me there. Bumaba pa si Pierre para batiin sila. Si Kuya Renz pa mismo ang nag-alok na sumabay siya sa 'min. But he refused. He said he's busy with his clinic.

I'm happy to know that he has set up a clinic. Gusto kong bumisita pero ano namang gagawin ko do'n? Hindi naman siya doctor ng tao.

Lunch with Daddy and Kuya Renz was formal and too businessy. Wala akong imik dahil wala naman akong gaanong kaalaman sa practical day-to-day operations ng corporation. Daddy promised that he would help me to get used to it before he left me to it.

After lunch, Daddy had to go back to attend a meeting while Kuya Renz took me home. Kuya Renz was a lot more mature than years ago. I thought that he was in his better version.

"Kumusta ang pagiging New Yorker?" tanong ni Kuya Renz.

Our conversation was casual and comforting. He didn't ask me complicated questions.

"It's good. I'm still not used to the winter season, though."

"Mr. Leonardo had told me you took a business program. Buti kinaya mo."

Sabay kaming tumawa.

"It wasn't hard actually. But I didn't like it. Hindi ko pa rin ipagpapalit ang creative writing."

"Speaking of that, pumunta ang kapatid ko sa New York no'ng graduation mo. Kumusta?"

I froze in place. My shoulder fell, and my breathing quickened.

Pierre attended my graduation. Why didn't I know that? Bakit hindi siya nagpakita sa akin? I was waiting for him! I was so broken-hearted that day. I understood that he was too, so I accepted that he wouldn't keep his promise.

Nakita ni Kuya Renz ang reaksyon ko. Mas bumagal ang pagmamaneho niya.

"Hindi mo alam?" nagtataka niyang tanong.

Umiling ako. I lowered my head. I should talk to Pierre. I wanted closure as much as I wanted him back.

When I got home, I messaged Pierre.