Chapter 24

Nilapitan ko agad si Mommy. Pinulot ko ang mabibilang na papel sa kama ko at inilagay ko 'yon sa drawer.

Nanginginig ang kamay at halos hindi makahinga nang matagpuan ang nalilitong mga mata ni Mommy.

"What was that, Dae?"

My lips didn't move. I couldn't speak. I was startled when Mommy gripped my right arm and squeezed it.

"Answer me, anak. Who gave those to you? Why?"

I lowered my head. I don't want her to worry about it. I didn't intend for them to know about this. It will only bring chaos. It's my problem. Besides, Rainne isn't bothering me these days. I think she's tired of threatening me. I hope she has enough.

"Anak, who gave you those? Please...tell me."

I closed my eyes and shook my head. Tumayo si Mommy at niyakap ako. I melted against her warmth.

"Please, Dae. I know you're worried about us. But anak, I don't want you to keep secrets from us anymore."

My eyes were flooded with tears. Gusto kong magsumbong. Gusto kong sabihin sa kanila na kay Rainne galing ang lahat ng iyon. I wanted them to take action with that and let Rainne pay. But I couldn't. It was only in my head.

"It's nothing, Mommy."

"It's not!" she shouted.

I shook my head. I want her to stop urging me to answer her. I didn't speak again. I cried in her arms as she continued to fire me with questions. I don't have plans to reveal it to her. I don't have the strength.

"You can't stop me from knowing the truth behind those threats, anak."

"Mommy...." I stopped her.

It was her turn to shake her head. "Your father will know about this. We're your parents, Dae. We need to keep you safe."

I moved away from her hug and held her hand. I stared at Mommy for a few seconds before I spoke.

"I can handle it. You don't have to do this, Mommy. I don't want to worry Daddy too. It's nothing."

Inalis ni Mommy ang hawak ko sa kanya. I saw in her eyes that I couldn't change her mind. She's already decided.

"We can protect you, anak. Are you afraid that that criminal will hurt us?"

I nodded. Mommy caressed my cheeks to wipe my tears.

"No...we won't let that happen."

Ilang segundo pa ang nagtagal before I decided to let Mommy know who gave those threats to me.

"It's Rainne, Mommy," I confessed.

My heart skipped a beat when she gasped in horror. She covered her mouth with her hands. I stared at Mommy's eyes that turned darker. I wanted to regret telling her. This will only start a fight with Rainne.

"Your father will know about this. We can file a criminal complaint with that evidence!" she shouted.

"No, please, Mommy. Baka lumala lang ang galit ni Rainne sa 'kin. I won't forgive her if she does bad things to both of you. Or worse to Pierre!"

She held onto my shoulders. I've never heard Mommy raise her voice at me for the reason that she's worried. This was new to me. As much as I wanted her to be, I don't want this to be a big deal. I'm certain Rainne will plan on hurting my family and my loved ones.

"Rest for tonight. I will discuss this with your father. Does Pierre know about this, Dae?"

I shook my head. I haven't told him about this yet, because it wasn't my plan.