Chapter 34

The Christmas holiday came by so fast. Daddy and I got invited to the Christmas dinner with the Castellano family. I was happy to spend it with them, but I was also nervous that I wasn't present the whole time. Pierre gifted me the most elegant but straightforward gold bracelet. I gave him back a silver watch.

Right after that dinner, Ate Avi prepared with a lot of questions for the press conference. Inaral ko 'yon ng ilang beses sa loob ng tatlong araw. Patuloy akong nagdududa sa sarili ko kung kakayanin ko bang sagutin ang mga tanong na ibabato sa akin. Ate Avi told me that she will help me answer the difficult questions. I felt relieved that she'll be there with me.

On the twenty-eight of December, the press conference began in an event space in Quezon City. Ala-una nang ihatid ako ni Pierre sa venue. Tahimik siya sa tabi ko at nagmamaneho.

He's wearing a black suit. It is the first time I've seen him wearing that. It means that his job for today is to keep me safe as my bodyguard. I'm wearing a sleeveless sage mini dress with a cowl neck and back cut out. I partnered it with my open-toe silver stiletto.

I received a message earlier that Ate Avi is already there. Hinihintay nila ako. I know she's with her husband, so she's safe. Lawrence and Dave were there too.

It was a long ride, so I thought of talking to Pierre. And so I can rid my nervousness. Ilang minuto pa akong nag-iisip nang itatanong ko. Naalala ko 'yong souvenirs na pina-ship ko para sa kanya.

"Did you...receive the cup and the postcard?" pagtatanong ko.

I saw him clench his jaw and answer, "Yeah. I'm using it."

A smile formed my lips. That made my heart jump.

"Did you like it?"

He jerked his head at me. "Obviously, Dae. It came from you."

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. I felt the turning of my insides. I was elated.

"Did you like the watch?" I pointed to my gift that he was already wearing.

It fits his fair complexion. I love to see him wearing and using my gifts.

"I won't be using it if I don't."

How can that simple sentence turn my heartbeats wild? Was it just me?

"How're your studies?" pang-iinterbyu ko pa.

"Busy. You?"

Obviously, he's busy with that program he's taking. I miss seeing him in a veterinary uniform.

"I'll graduate in January."

He nodded. "I'll attend."

My mouth fell in shock and excitement. I blinked repeatedly.

"Don't like it?"

Umiling ako. "No! I'm happy you'll attend."

"You said it was tiring. Were you okay?"

"Yes. It was a big adjustment. Lumaki ako kasama ka. I always missed going to school with you."

Nagtuloy-tuloy pa ang kuwentuhan naming dalawa hanggang sa dumating na kami sa venue.

My eyes flew to the people outside the building. Like the crowd at the airport last week. I suddenly feel sweaty. Bumalik ang pagdududa ko habang pinapanood silang lahat. What if I couldn't convince these people that I meant them no harm?

I took a long breath. Bumibilis ang tibok ng puso ko sa nerbyos.

"Dae," tawag ni Pierre.

Tumingin ako sa kanya, concern is on his face. Naramdaman ko ang paghawak niya sa pinagpapawisan kong mga kamay.