Chapter 23

It was eight in the evening the next day. I will be holding a Despedida party for my block mates. Hindi na rin ako humindi dahil mami-miss ko rin naman sila. Of course, Pierre was invited. I reserved a room sa isa sa mga pinakamalapit na bar sa Pasay.

Nakapagpaalam na ako kay Mommy about the party. I told her that I would be riding with Pierre. Dumating din naman kaagad siya sa bahay. Pierre and Mommy talked for a few minutes.

"I know you will keep my daughter safe, but please be careful," I heard Mommy say to Pierre.

Lumapit ako sa kanilang dalawa matapos kong kumain ng dinner. Nakapag-dinner na raw si Pierre, so I didn't invite him to sit with me sa the dining room. He's with Mommy the whole time.

Hinanap ni Pierre ang mata ko. Tumayo siya at lumapit sa akin. Mommy also stood when I entered the living room. Pierre snaked his right arm on my waist. I smiled at him before I bid goodbye to Mommy.

"We have to go, Mommy. Will you be okay here?"

"Yes, anak. Have fun, both of you."

I kissed her cheeks. I waved when Pierre and I went outside the house. She was at the door waving at us

I would say Mommy and I have grown closer ever since that day. I was more than grateful. Minsan lamang ay hindi ko mapigilang maramdaman ang kalungkutan. I've found out after researching that Alzheimer's disease isn't a joke. There's a possibility that Mommy will forget someone or one of her memories along the way. I'm afraid that she might forget me...especially Daddy. It was hard for me to accept that she would be suffering from it. As much as I will miss being with Pierre, I'm also looking forward to Mommy getting her treatment right away.

Pumasok ako sa car ni Pierre when he opened the door for me. I settled myself on the shotgun seat and waited for him to get inside. I looked once again at our house before Pierre started the engine.

"Are you worried?" Pierre asked, concerned.

Nahihimigan yata niya ang pagka-bother ko na maiiwan si Mommy sa bahay. Wala naman siyang pinagkakaabalahan bukod din sa trabaho. Daddy told her not to go with him and instead, rest. And now, Daddy's still not at home, working at the corporation.

He said he'll be busy for the week. He has told me that I should tell him when I'll be free to teach me how the corporation works. I willingly agreed. Hanggat maaga pa, I wanted to learn from him. He's going to get his treatment after Mommy. I wanted to force him to be with us, but he said he had responsibilities to take care of before that. I'm considering taking over his position in the corporation to lift that responsibility from his shoulders.

"I'm always worried for them," I confessed.

Pierre rested his right hand on my lap and squeezed it. He peeped at me for a second, checking up on my face. I don't look like I'm going to a party, although it's a Despedida party. I looked stressed out.

"I'm positive Tita will call you if she needs your help."

He's right. I can't thank him enough for relieving me with his words. I don't think I can survive without him. With him, I'm at rest. I nodded, agreeing to his advice.

"Should I take Daddy's position soon? I informed him that I was willing to learn about the corporation. It's a matter of time until he gets his treatment. Gusto kong maging ready as soon as possible," I shared with him.

Pierre continued to look worried. His eyes were on the road, but I could hear his sighs. He's also caressing my hands which made me calm down a little bit. All I could think of these past few days was my parents and my responsibility as their daughter. I've forgotten about writing. It sucks that I'm already in the real world.