x. lightweight

chapter ten
LIGHTWEIGHT

🥀

» » "LET'S GET TOGETHER and do something fun tonight. Just you and me. It'll be like old times". Fred's golden specks lit up as he spoke, each word more ensnaring than the last. It was Friday afternoon, just after closing, and Fred hadn't been able to keep his eyes off Edith all day. Although Edith was just as oblivious to his gaze as ever, it didn't go unnoticed by Verity — or anyone else for that matter — as it was clear as day that Fred was infatuated with the brunette.

Edith — who had her head in the cloud most of the time — barely caught on with the ginger boys' invitation, instead, focusing all her energy on worrying about her first meeting with her mother in four years. That's right, Rose Gannon, wished to see her daughter, even after everything she put her through as a kid.

"Edith?", Fred asked again, his eyebrow curled. "You alright there, love?".

"Yeah–um–I'm okay. Just a bit stressed is all. My mum owled. She says she wants to see me".

"Wow. Well, I can see why that might be a bit nerve-wracking. You'll be fine though, don't worry. Just keep your head high, and she won't dare mess with Edith freaking Gannon", the redhead chuckled, placing a gentle hand on hers in an attempt to reassure the girl.

"Thanks, Freddie", she smiled, the tears threatening to fall from her dark eyes. Then she proceeded to place a quick peck on the tip of his nose, making Fred's eyes lit up and his cheeks stain crimson.

"What was that for?", he asked nervously, fidgeting with the silver ring upon his finger.

Edith smiled sheepishly, not daring to take her eyes off of him.

"For being you".

✦✧✦

My darling daughter,

It has come to my attention that you have returned home, finally, and I have yet to hear from you.

Please meet me tomorrow. I will be waiting at the Three Broomsticks at seven.

I have missed you.

Love,

- Mum.

Edith folded the letter neatly, placing it carefully on her bed, never letting it leave her sight. She didn't know how to react. She hadn't been in contact with her mum in a very long time, and to be honest, she had completely forgotten to contact her. She had been so caught up with mending her relationship with Fred, that she had managed to store the memories of her mother in the back of her mind. A place she rarely rummaged through.

Maybe she didn't want to see her. Maybe she was fine without her mother's constant pestering that she knew was inevitable, would she let her back into her life. Maybe she was better off cutting all ties to her. Because even though she still loved her mother very much, she was the same person who would constantly remind her that it was her fault her dad had left.

So now there she was, staring blankly at the crumpled-up piece of paper in front of her, thinking about all the ways that this could go. Picturing her mother's face, her loose curls, and kind smile. Her haunting eyes, looking back into Edith's. The way she'd hug her daughter, the way they'd probably talk as if nothing had changed, only to have her mother start commenting on the very thing she feared. Flinching at the mentioning of her father.