twenty-five ∆ these curious feelings

"Guys, do you hear that?" Pansy asked. They hadn't gone too far into the cave, but already it was becoming narrow.

Movements along the cave's walls -- Sir Harry had heard them too.

"Uh, is this a good time to mention that if you look at it, you'll die--" Draco said.

"The time to mention that was yesterday!" Hermione shot back.

"At least it's dark," Sir Harry pointed out.

"Okay, everyone, turn out your lights," Draco ordered. "Just listen for it's movements."

"It'll be too dangerous to cast any spells, though," Blaise said.

"Sir Harry, you have a sword," Astoria suggested. "Think you could take it on yourself?"

"Uh..." Unlike Draco, Sir Harry wasn't too keen on his solo abilities. "Maybe--"

"Okay, great! Find it and stab it, then."

He was going to say maybe not... But now he was apparently assigned the sole responsibility of taking the thing down.

"What if it gets one of us?" Sir Harry asked, trying to avoid what he'd accidentally signed up for.

Then, there was a loud rumble and shuffling from Sir Harry's right. He knew Pansy and Hermione were at least over there.

"Hey! Everyone, I'm gonna just go for it!" he said, somewhat quietly.

"Please don't die," Draco whispered.

That made Sir Harry's mind spin, let alone the darkness. His heart leaped in his chest, as though it were a circus performer. Still, he tried to ignore it, and stepped forward, toward where the sound had come from.

Infront of him, something shifted. He jabbed forward, wondering if he should close his eyes.

"You doing alright?" Pansy asked.

"Yeah," Sir Harry said back, more so focusing on other things. "I think so-- woah! I hit something! Is that blood-- wait..."

When he pulled back, his hand was covered in a foul smelling liquid.

"What is it?" Draco asked quickly, concern lacing his tone.

"I think I just stuck my hand in it's mouth-- oh...oh my gods, it's right next to me; I can feel it's breath!" Sir Harry's confidence diminished quickly, as he decidedly closed his eyes and slowly backed away.

"What the hell!?" someone said, he didn't know who. He was too busy focusing on getting away. "What are you thinking? Don't crawl -- run!" Okay, it was Astoria who'd spoken.

And Sir Harry -- along with everyone else -- listened.

"Light, light!" Pansy called out.

"Goodness, you can make your own light!" Blaise shouted back, probably regretting all of his life choices up until this point.

But she didn't even have to, because in an instant half the group had their wands out, glowing.

"Don't look back!" Draco shouted. He was at the front of the group, whilst Sir Harry was near the back, just in front of Pansy and Hermione.

Everything flashed before him, when he ignored Draco's suggestion and turned back only to see that Hermione had tripped and fallen to the ground. He was lucky he hadn't caught sight of the basilisk, but still, he felt terrible when he turned back around without any thought and continued out the entrance of the cave.

Sir Harry forced away the urge to glance back and see if they were safe. Instead, he looked at his hand, which was still covered in the substance from the creature's mouth, and said, "There's gotta be venom in this..."