Wicken

Elsewhere, Wicken Sanders scanned the open space of the marketplace. Shops were plentiful, each boasting a variety of goods for the patrons to choose from. He didn't know what he wanted. Something to blow off steam, something to keep him sane. Games, books, movies, music-- none of those caught his attention enough.

"Hello, friend," an older man said from behind his counter.

Wicken faced him, raising an eyebrow. "Me?"

"Yes, you, the lost-looking one."

"I'm not lost," Wicken snapped. Or maybe I am. He tended to not be the type to harbor so much irritation. When did he become so edgy? Oh yeah, when I got caught by the Achlivans and dragged into all of their drama.

The man didn't seem all too insulted. In fact, he laughed. "Young man, I know what you need to take away all of your pain."

"Look, if it's drugs or a prostitute or something, I'm going to pass. That's not my thing."

"I am a respectable salesman. I would not offer you such things," he said, reaching under his counter. He pulled out a leather-bound journal. The pages were a little worn on the edges, but that only added to the appeal. "The preserver of thought and the protector of ideas. A good book can teach us a lot about ourselves."

Wicken took the book, flipping the pages in his fingers. "But it's blank."

"Because you have a story to tell."

Nodding, Wicken held the book under his arm. "I don't have much I can trade for it right now. I just got here. Do you take credit? Or I can see if I can dig something up from my room? Work a day for you so you can have some time off?"

"Just let me read it when you're done."

"That's all you want? What if I never finish?" Or it doesn't help, and I give up?

The man smiled. "You'll finish, and when you do, you just come find me."

"What's your name?"

"When you finish." The man handed him a package of black pens.

Wicken sighed, aggravated. "Fine, I'll be back."

Unsure of what else to do, he took the journal and went back to his room. He sprawled out onto his bed, and got to work. Wicken did not like having unfinished debts. Besides, he needed to clear his head.