Wicken - Nineteen

I took a bite from my cheeseburger. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't amazing either. Probably around fast-food level. You know, the kind where you're not sure if you're even getting real meat. At the same time, I've eaten a lot worse things before. Patriarch and Justice led me back to the behind the scenes area of the Pit cafeteria, got a tray of food, and took me into some kind of closet. All three of us camped out on the floor, squeezing into the room in a way that was barely comfortable. Apparently, it was necessary.

Once I started eating, I didn't want to stop. I had no idea how hungry I was until I actually sat down to do it. The others nibbled, but mostly watched. I must have been one fascinating dude to them because they did that a lot.

"Justice tells me your name is Wicked," Patriarch said.

"Wicken," I said in between bites. "Close enough, I guess. Especially since you don't go by real names here."

"There were getting to be too many John's."

I managed a sour laugh. "Or you're just a bunch of slaves, right? Good obedient dogs for your new alien masters?"

"You got it. Those of us in the Pit are essentially just that, the working force. The humans placed on the surface get to keep their names, live simple lives, and basically enjoy the ride so long as they abide by the rules the Achlivans have put into place."

"And I want to be on the surface why?" I asked. "Because I think I'd rather go back home again."

Patriarch offered a small smile. "If you decide you actually want to go back home, then you have to do so by joining the surface. They're the only people who get the decision once it's time."

"Got it." I finished my burger and settled myself into the corner of the closet. "And the surface people do what? Nothing?"

Justice shook his head. "They work, but they have better jobs, more space, sunshine, that kind of thing. You could compare it to living in a zoo because the Achlivans are always watching and analyzing our behavior. Sometimes I think they don't realize how smart we are. Kind of like how we see monkeys, gorillas, and dolphins. We're just animals to them."

"Some of the surface dwellers even become glorified pets," Patriarch added.

"Paul." Justice said the name like it was a dirty word. His nose scrunched up in disgust and his eyes were piercing as he gazed down at his burger so sharp that he might have actually been able to cut it in half as if with a knife.

I noticed Patriarch shoot Justice a glare, perhaps in warning. Too much information getting blabbed? It was too early to tell if I should trust them or not, just like they probably didn't know if they should be trusting me. For the moment, I let the obvious slip up go. Besides, I didn't know anyone named Paul anyway.

Instead, I got back to asking questions. "So why take us from our planet?"

"That's not something I'm allowed to talk about yet. There are some rules worth breaking, but that one isn't." Patriarch gave me a sympathetic smile.

"Okay, so you wanted my help? That's why you dragged me back here to chat in a closet, right?" I raised both of my eyebrows. "Unless something else is going on, of course."

The look of disgust on Justice's face was priceless, let me tell you. At least I was able to get a laugh out of Patriarch. I knew if I could get the guy to chuckle, then I was on his good side.

For a moment Justice grumbled and guffawed before saying something I could actually understand. "We head the Preservation Movement on the ship. At the moment, it's kind of an underground sort of thing."

"Preservation Movement? Of what?" I asked.

"Our way of life," Patriarch said calmly. There was a sadness in his gaze, though, that concerned me.

Frowning, I tried to get him to make eye-contact with me, but he kept avoiding my gaze. "What do you mean, our way of life?" I asked.

He sighed. "The Achlivans are trying to get us to adapt to their ways. Rather than respect our culture and way of doing things, they're pushing us into a lifestyle that goes against most of how the free world thinks. The Preservation Movement began in an effort to keep as much of our culture as possible. Unfortunately, it is a touchy subject amongst the Achlivans and so we have to handle it with care. They have a rather elitist mentality."

"So rather than trying to get them to let us go, you're trying to persuade them to let us live the way we want to on this ship," I said, trying to get some kind of clarification. The whole thing sounded pretty dumb to me, though. I mean, why wouldn't they be fighting to be released? Shouldn't that be their ultimate goal? Who wanted to be a slave or a pet? I certainly wasn't some kind of a dog.

Patriarch laughed, nodding a little, some of the life returning to him. "You got it. For now, I don't want you to commit to anything. I can tell you like to assess things before leaping into decisions, and this isn't something to take lightly. Five days, we'll talk again in here. It's the only place that isn't tapped."

"Everything else is being watched?" I asked.

"Everything. I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before the closets get cameras and microphones. The women have been able to keep it untouched, though because these are considered love nests, if you catch my drift." Justice winked. "Achlivans listen to everything the women say, just about."

Love nest? People went in the closets to get frisky? I shifted so I was no longer touching the wall, not wanting to think about all of the things that could be contaminating it. With Chevelle, I had talked myself up to be quite the porn star, but I'll be honest and say in all actuality I'm kind of a prude. And a neat freak, and a germaphobe. I wanted a shower after touching that wall.

Then it dawned on me. "Are people thinking we're doing...stuff...now?"

Patriarch shrugged. "Probably not since there are three of us here. We'll tell everyone you were having a meltdown and didn't want anyone to think you were weak because of it. You're new, so it'll be believable. We don't usually ask new people to be a part of the Preservation Movement, but you're smarter than most who come this way. I can tell. It was only a matter of time before you got asked the question. So five days, we'll meet here, and you can decide if you want to be a part of the team or not. If you choose not to, I understand. You wouldn't be the first to decline, though not many do. If you tattle on us, though, we will make your life miserable for it. No matter what they promise you, the Achlivans can't protect you."

"Understood." I swallowed. "So what are these Achlivans trying to get us to do then if not live like people?"

He shook his head. "It's hard to explain without seeing it. I'm gonna go over the rules and then I should show you to where you're sleeping. You'll want to rest up before tomorrow because they're going to put you to work right away. The days are long and the breaks are few. Eventually, you'll get used to it."

Ticking off each rule with his finger, Patriarch gave me the three vital rules to surviving in the Pit. "Number one, you always, always, always do what your Achlivan supervisor tells you to – even if it involves doing something you don't agree with. They tell you to hurt someone, you do it. Most people will understand. Getting on their bad side is not the way to go. Ask Justice about that one." I glanced over at the other guy, who shrugged rather innocently, grinning. Patriarch continued.

"Number two, treat the women well. Some of them might be in the Pit, but they're still women, and Achlivans worship them. Not gonna lie, a lot of them are bad news. They're here for a reason, but you don't yell at them, call them names, or get on their bad side either."

I nodded. "Got it."

"Finally, hold onto your sense of time, onto who you are. Got it, Wick?"

I nodded again. Sure sounded easy enough. "Wick?"

"Your name. I can't call you by your real one, here. Remember?"

"Right, but, why Wick?"

Patriarch grinned. "Because it's close to your real name, so you won't forget it. And a candle flame needs a wick to burn. I chose you for a reason. You're smart, but there's also a light inside too. Don't let it go out."