Wicken - Thirty-One

The big day came a whole lot faster than I expected. Going back to work was something I was itching to do. My spirits were high that morning upon waking. Funny, huh? I used to dread going to work all of the time, never having a break, never getting a chance to do anything fun. Turns out I was more of a workaholic than I originally thought.

When all of the guys woke up, I got up with them. I pulled my clothes out of my small drawer assigned for all of my things, and made sure to stay out of everyone's way. There was a certain flow to the morning routine. One disturbance pissed off the rest of the group.

Once dressed, I followed Justice. He would take me to the Roof where the restaurant was located. There I would be trained in on how to properly bus tables, do the dishes, and help prep the kitchen. Most of it was stuff I already knew from previous job opportunities. I hated working in food, but even that beat working down in the Deep.

While most of the guys turned right to go into the room where I'd done my orientation, we went to the left toward the cafeteria with the other guys who had jobs elsewhere. Rather than stop to eat, Justice and I kept going. We crossed the room, made our way past the recreation room, and to a large red door bolted up tight. I'd seen this door a number of times during my aimless wandering while I worked on healing over. Whatever was behind it had to be important. I was about to find out what exactly was there.

Justice entered in a passcode into a keypad on the wall next to the door. One loud clank after another, the locks undid themselves and the bolts shifted out of the way. I'd seen similar technology in a movie once. Watching it in action first hand was mesmerizing. Each thud of metal hitting metal caused me to jump. Then again, I wasn't expecting so many locks. Maybe two or three were visible. The sound repeated at least ten times before I stopped counting, and then it resonated and echoed in my ears long after it was done.

The door swung open and I was staring at the stairway to heaven itself. In front of me was a narrow hallway leading to a massive stairwell that went up at least one hundred feet. Between me and the stairs was a security office next to an electronic archway that had to be some kind of advanced body scanner.

I swallowed, an Achlivan could be seen in the window of the office. Jupiter. He nodded at Justice, not giving him the time of day to really acknowledge his presence. When the alien's gaze locked on me, however, he stood and opened the door just as I was about to pass under the arch.

"You're looking strong given the punishment you have received from me. I did not think you would be on your feet so soon," Jupiter said.

Was I supposed to respond? I'd been told to only say "yes sir" or "no sir."

Jupiter's large, orange eyes, narrowed and he leaned down so that he could be more at my level. "Perhaps I did not punish you enough, boy."

"He was in a lot of pain. I assure you, he suffered greatly, sir," Justice said softly. "Patriarch has given him the minimum rest period, and will make him work despite his wounds not being completely healed over. He thought it would be a more effective punishment for his rebellion."

I kept my gaze glued to the floor in front of me. That was smart, right? Not engaging the alien was a better idea than trying to play the wounded puppy or the defiant jerk. Jupiter circled me a few times like some kind of bird of prey. Any second I expected him to swoop down and wrap his talons around me, the poor, defenseless, adorable bunny rabbit. The guy had an agenda against me, still.

He leaned in toward me. "You can go up this time, but I will be having a word with my superiors about this."