Chevelle - Thirteen

"Are you sure?" Timber asked quietly, entering the living room once more. He'd just gone back to tuck Lara into bed.

I looked up at him as he entered. "Sure about what?"

"It being Wicken that you saw on the television I mean," he said softly, sitting down in a chair.

"Positive." There was no way I could ever forget his face or anything about him. He's one of those people who leaves a print on you for life.

Timber whistled quietly and shook his head. "Wow, that was intense to see no matter what, you know?"

I nodded, still not sure what to think myself. There was a lot for me to get past. Wicken was getting beaten, being hurt, and I didn't even know where he was. These aliens who were holding us captive were the ones who were doing it to him, too. Were they planning on beating us all and it was just a matter of time? Paul had said they didn't want slaves, but what I had seen on that screen sure didn't match up to anything Paul had said to me. Unless, of course, that was what happened to the Undesirables.

Glancing at Timber, I noticed how pale he was. Like, the guy was actually turning a little green. I'd never seen that before, on anyone. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe he was thinking the same thing I was: if he was deemed undesirable, would he be put into the same position? That was not something I was okay with. I couldn't stand Wicken being there either. There had to be something I could do to help him. I just had to find him first.

"Do you think he's here?" Timber asked quietly.

"Maybe? I mean, I guess that depends on where the feed is from, right?"

He swallowed, nodding. "I don't see why they would have a security video like that from another ship. Seems kind of pointless to me."

"Are there other ships?"

"Anything is possible at this point. You realize that, right?"

His gaze was so intense. I couldn't hold it with my own because I might have crumbled or melted on the spot. Something about the determination he had was sexy and intimidating all at the same time. Scary, but man, yum, too. Any man on a mission was delicious so long as the mission wasn't going to hurt me, of course.

After a moment, his expression softened and he stood. "We should probably get some sleep. We'll look into it tomorrow. I bet Paul has some answers, you know?"

"I hope so." I gazed down at my hands and sighed, standing as well. "Good night," I added softly and then slowly made my way to the bathroom.

I took a few moments to vent out some of my frustration and fear. There was no way I was going to be caught crying again. Thankfully, the outburst of emotion was quiet and didn't last long. Still, my heart broke for Wicken. Why was he being hurt? I wanted to put on my shoes and go searching for him right then and there, but who was I kidding? There was no way it would happen. I'd get lost, in trouble, and possibly hurt myself.

"Tomorrow," I whispered, and hoped tomorrow wouldn't be too late.

Bathroom business done, I headed back to the bedroom so I could curl up and at least attempt sleep. The idea still freaked me out. I mean, it wasn't my bedroom. Even if it was nice inside our condo, it wasn't homey or comforting. Anything could have been lurking in the closets ready to get us. When I saw Timber lying in the bed, Lara curling into his side, I stopped.

"Hmm?" he asked, looking up at me briefly.

My cheeks were growing hot, and I was so glad the lights were off because he did not need to see me blushing. "Just forgot we were bunking together tonight."

"I promise I won't spoon you," he teased. "Got a munchkin in the way. Oh, and I don't snore."

"Good, because neither do I," I said and made my way to the other side of the bed. I crawled in and stayed as close to the edge as possible. "I kick, though."

He laughed. "I roll, but since space is limited, I shouldn't plow into your territory."

"Sometimes I talk," I warned.

"Talking I can handle. Lia talks..."

I squeezed my eyes shut. The last thing I wanted to do was remind him of his girlfriend who he might never see again. "Good night, Timber."

"Nighty-night."

Sleep came a little easier than it had the night before.