Wicken - Sixty-Four

The Gorgachan were another alien race. They were smaller in size than the Achlivans, closer to my size, but with four times my strength. It only took one of them to hold me, and once he got fed up with my fighting, he lifted me over his shoulder caveman-style like I was a feather. Humiliating. These new aliens also had a crap-ton of teeth, sharp ones at that. I remembered what Jupiter had said about me not being food, and I shuddered. These things ate people?

I noticed Jupiter take something that looked a lot like money from one of these Gorgachans. That was the last time I saw him. They tossed me into my own room. No bars, but there were no windows either. Just a solid door that slid into the wall when it opened. Inside was a bed, fairly large in size, a dresser, and an end table with a handful of books.

"Hello? Is anyone going to talk to me?" I called out. No response. I lay down on the bed. Soon enough I was so bored, I fell asleep.

Some time later, I awoke to find I wasn't alone. Standing across from me was a young man. His skin ghostly pale, and his eyes were slivered like a cats. The irises of his eyes glowed with gold when the light hit them. A Gorgachan? What else could he be? He certainly wasn't human.

"Morning," he said with a thick British-sounding accent.

I slowly sat up in bed. "Uh, morning?"

"I'm going to keep things straight and to the point. You have been traded."

"Duh," I grumbled and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Hopefully, he wouldn't beat on me for smarting off like Jupiter had.

The guy laughed. "You are now a part of the crew for the starship Persistence."

A new ship, a new home, a new life to adjust to. Only this time, I was on my own. The reality hit my gut full-force. I actually wanted to puke, but I swallowed it down. "P-Persistence. Are you going to eat me? Jupiter mentioned something about my not being food, but how it could change. Just be straight about it."

More laughter. "No, we have no intention of eating you at this point in time. He was right, you are an intelligent one. We like that sort of thing in our service, unlike the Achlivans. They'd rather you be rough and obedient. Challenges are not fun to them. My people, we love a good tickle of the brain. Thus, you were sold to us."

"Why did it have to be me," I groaned. Everything was going right. Perfectly.

"Would you rather go back to work as a slave in the garbage incinerator?"

I shook my head. "You don't understand, I had a good job, someone who loved me, I was getting out of there. He knew that. The only reason I'm here is because he has it out to get me for some reason and I don't know why."

"Oh, that is a pity then, isn't it?" But it was obvious he wasn't being sincere. This alien had no pity for me. I doubted he cared even an ounce. "You are all the more perfect for our ship then. As a human, you can do a whole lot more to sabotage the Achlivans than I can as a Gorgachan. They'd expect it from me, but not from you."

"Sabotage? You just bought me from an Achlivan and you want to ruin them? I'm confused."

"Wick, there's a lot you don't know about alien politics. I'll give you the simple version today. The Achlivans and my people are sworn enemies. In fact, the only reason we're at peace for the moment is because we both agreed to do what we could to save your planet before its ultimate destruction in exactly thirty-five days. Why wouldn't I want to hurt them if they were my enemy? Our peace treaty has a time limit. Five days after the destruction of Earth. Then it's back to all out war. The Achlivans aren't going to stop planning, so why should we?"

Out of all of that, only one thing stuck out in my mind. "Earth is going to be...gone ...in thirty-five days?"

"Yes, and of course they didn't tell you that. No, they wouldn't be upfront and honest about why they're kidnapping your people and forcing you to act like animals in a zoo. Be glad you came with me, Wick. I'm gonna be taking you to a place a whole lot more like home than Sanctuary." The alien gave me a wide toothy grin and I shivered at the sight of his mouth full of incisors. He might as well have been a shark.

I didn't bother to hide my disgust or fear. Things just got a whole lot more intense. Being strong was no longer a priority. Somehow, I had to find a way to warn Chevelle of the danger she was in.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"My name doesn't translate well into your language. It comes off as a bunch of clicks and things, quite bothersome to teach you. I've decided to take on the alias of Bob. Keeps things simple, you see."

I put my face in my hands, shaking my head, and doing my best to keep my emotions at bay. "This can't be happening to me."

"It is, hate to say it. Like I said, you're better off with us than you are with them. As for your woman, give me some time and I'll work out a way to bring her to us. You'll see it'll all be fantastic. Five days is all I ask. Rest up and mourn if need be. Then I will show you wonders." Bob didn't wait for me to acknowledge him. I heard the door open, and then he was gone.

Remember how Patriarch and Justice were so concerned about me having a meltdown? It finally happened. I was broken and truly alone.