In This Together

-JENSEN'S POV-

"Why are you with that slut?"

It was like the trance I had been in since seeing Danneel when Scarlett and I walked in broke, and suddenly I got very angry.

"Don't you dare call her that," I growled.

"Why not?" Dani shrugged. "She is one, isn't she? I mean, first with the producers of that show and now you?"

"Shut up."

"That's why she was fired from her last job, though," she continued as if I hadn't said anything. "She was sleeping around with the producers and word nearly got out, so they fired her in order to not look bad."

"I said shut up, Danneel."

"I never slept with any of the producers of that show," Scarlett spoke up beside me. "That was a rumor one of my coworkers that was trying to get in my pants spread because I refused to sleep with him. Yes, they fired me so the rumors wouldn't get leaked to the press, but they aren't true so you can shut your whore mouth."

I gaped down at Scarlett who was glaring at my ex-wife with more contempt than I had ever seen from her in my time knowing her.

"How dare you speak to me like that," Dani hissed.

"No, how dare you go around saying things about people you don't know anything about," Scarlett growled back.

"You stole my husband!"

"No, you divorced him and then he met me and actually started to move on with his life. I never stole anything from you. Now, I'm sorry you can't be happy for him, but accusing me of being a slut and keeping his daughter from him is not the way to deal with it."

"You don't know anything about my daughter. I am her mother, and I won't let her anywhere near the likes of you!"

"That's enough!"

Silence fell as Pop's words filled the room. Scarlett and I moved aside to reveal the man standing there, glaring around at everybody. Kenzie still looked extremely uncomfortable next to Dani on the couch and the two women who had just been arguing had matching expressions of guilt on their faces at being called out by my father. Alan Ackles was a very menacing man when he had to be, and now was no exception.

"Now, I don't know exactly what is going on in here, but I will not have this kind of behavior under my roof," he continued. "Danneel, I think it's time you leave. You aren't welcome here."

With a glance over at Kenzie, Dani stood from the couch before making her way across the room. Pop stepped to the side to let her pass and the room was silent again until we heard the front door open and shut.

"Mackenzie, may I talk to Jensen and Scarlett alone, please?"

"Yes, Pop."

Kenzie hurried out of the room as fast as her legs could carry her, leaving the three of us.

"Sit."

Scarlett and I did as we were told, moving to sit on the now-empty couch.

"Talk it out," came his next command before walking out himself.

An awkward silence fell over the room as Scarlett and I sat there by ourselves. She was the first one to break it.

"Jay, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

I didn't respond, still slightly numb and trying to process everything that had happened in a short span of time. My ex-wife had called my girlfriend a slut, my girlfriend had rebuked her, called her a whore, and told her she had no right to keep my daughter from me, and my father had broken it up moments later.

"Jensen?" 

Scarlett put her hand on my knee and I looked over at her then, still not fully processing it.

"I'm sorry," she repeated.

"You... You don't have to apologize," I finally managed to get out. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"I shouldn't have yelled at her like that, though. I shouldn't have said those things. It's not my business what's going on between you two concerning JJ. I was out of line."

"No. No, Scarlett, you weren't," I shook my head. "You said it because you care. You love me enough to care about that, and I appreciate it, I really do."

"But I think I just made it worse," she whispered, avoiding my gaze.

"Hey, look at me."

I waited until her hazel eyes found mine, and I reached out to brush away the silent tears that had escaped with the pad of my thumb.

"I love you," I told her. "I knew how Danneel felt about you, and I still chose to be with you, because I love you more than I could ever say. I can deal with not having JJ. Yes, it hurts me to not be able to spend time with my daughter, but I can deal with it as long as I have you. I care about you, Scarlett, and I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

I pulled her into a tight embrace as she drew a shaky breath, crying into my shoulder. I didn't need a response from her, because I knew she felt the same way. The way she defended not only herself but me to Danneel proved that much.

"We'll figure it out, Scar," I whispered into her hair. "We're in this together."

I felt her grip on the back of my shirt tighten and she buried her face further into the crook of neck while she continued to sob silently. I rocked us back and forth slightly, rubbing slow circles up and down her back to calm her down. We stayed that way for nearly fifteen minutes, even long after her tears had subsided, neither of us willing to pull out of the other's arms.

"I love you, too," she whispered.

I smiled, pressing a kiss to the top of her head in response.

"If you two lovebirds are done, Mama says supper will be ready in twenty minutes," Kenzie's voice sounded from the doorway.

"Thanks, sis," I told her.