Chapter 18: ...Unless You Tell Everyone!

*Zayn's POV*

"Are you ok?" Riley asked me. We were sitting on the floor in front of the couch where Kat had immediately passed out when we got home.

I hesitated. Was I ok? Could I really answer that question?

"I'm not, but I think I will be." I answered quietly.

Riley didn't answer me. She didn't have to, really, because I heard Kat move a little behind us. I turned around and watched her eyes flutter open. They were a bit red, but still the same glimmering hazel they had always been, since the day I'd met her.

What had suddenly changed?

"Kathleen, we love you. More than anything. That means you need to tell us, ok? We aren't going to judge you or hate you or anything. Just... please. Tell me. Us." Riley told Kat.

"I-I can't." Kat said, and I watched she she curled up and started shaking, as if it were cold, when it was actually warm in the house.

"Kat, please." I said, and I put one hand on her jittering arm.

"Last year, I-I..." Kat paused, "I killed a man."

I don't think I've ever heard such silence.

My heart stopped.

"What?" Riley responded faster than I did.

"Last year, Justin and I were driving home. We got in a fight because I had been talking to another guy earlier that day, but the guy I was talking to had just been a friend of mine. I was driving, and Justin was in the passengers seat. It had been getting dark, and he-he tried to take the wheel away from me. We started screaming at each other and swerving. Neither of us noticed the poor man that was lying in the road. I-I-I hit him." Tears welled up in Kat's eyes.

I took her into my arms and held her as she sobbed into my chest. I patted her head, and whispered comforting words. But I wasn't really sure what was happening myself. As I sat there, comforting her, Riley shoots me a questioning look.

"Hey Kat, why don't you just sleep on it, kay?" I tell her, picking her limp body up, and carrying her up to my incredibly messy room. I tucked her in, and shut the door behind me as I rush down the stairs to Riley.

"Who's Justin?" Riley asked me, her voice in hushed tones.

"You mean you don't know?" I sigh, falling back onto the couch.

"What do you think?!" Riley growls, laying down on the couch.

"So you don't know ANYTHING about this guy?" I groan, and I see Riley's face light up.

"There was this guy..."

"What guy?"

"Well, I didn't see much, but he was trying to drag her to his car. She was kicking and screaming like a mad woman. I've never seen Kat in such a state of panic, you know? But, I think that guy was Justin.." Riley said nervously. I felt her tense up.

"We need to find out more about this Justin guy. There has to be reason for why she's having a meltdown now, and I'm almost sure it has a whole lot to do with that creep. We're going to help her, ok? Everything will be ok." I touched Riley's arm, trying to convince myself that the words I said were true. Could everything be ok after this?

Before I knew what was happening, the door opened.

"What's going on here?" Liam yelled.

*Kat's POV*

I woke up to the sound of someone yelling. Their voice was angry, yet panicked. Was that Liam?

I took a sniff of Zayn's blankets before I kicked them off and stood up. I grabbed the blanket and smelled it one more time. It smelled like Zayn. And I loved that smell.