Chapter 20: Open Wounds

*Megan's POV*

The second Riley said to run, my legs were moving faster than I thought was possible. I saw Kristy near me, coming closer. I took her by the hand and ran from Marie, who was tailing both of us.

She looked over at me, fear over shadowing the usual perkiness in her eyes.

"If you don't stop, I'll make you." Marie yelled, and I looked back to see a devilish look on her face. The same look she had months ago, when she almost killed us. Her eyes had the same glimmer of insanity that shined brighter than the sun. So bright that it was almost blinding.

"Fine, I guess we can do it that way!" I didn't even realize that she had loaded a gun. I didn't hear the sound. I didn't know.

I heard a scream from Kristy's lips as she tumbled to the ground, blood pouring from the open wound in her thigh. I ran to her, trying to get her up while at the same time trying to hold back the tears that threatened spilling over my eyes. My vision was blurred by those tears.

"Come on Kristy! Please stay with me! We have to get out of here." I yelled, watching as Marie walked closer and closer to where Kristy lay on the ground, and to where I clung onto her arm, trying to pull her up.

"Kristy!" I screamed, desperately trying to pull her up, to pull her off the ground. So that I could save both of us.

But I couldn't. There was nothing I could do.

"Kristy, please answer me." I whispered.

"I'm sorry." Kristy said quietly.

That was the last thing I heard before Marie made it to us.

"Hello, darlings. Long time, no see." Her voice was dripping in poison. I tried to drag Kristy backwards to keep her away from the venom that is Marie. I had no strength left, though. I was out of energy.

"What do you want from us?" I screamed out.

"Well, at first, all we wanted was the boys. But now, there is so much more, sweetie. I spent months in jail because of you, surrounded by masked murderers and druggies." She was yelling, then took a deep breath and spoke much more quietly. "But, I did gain some things from it. I found a lot of.... interesting ideas." Her grin just about perfectly matched the devils.

"Wha-what do you mean?" I stuttered.

"You'll find out." Marie told us, holding out something that looked a little too much like a spray can. She sprayed the gasses in it all over us, making me cough.

Sleeping gas. I felt my world being overcome by a blanket of darkness.

*Kat's POV*

Well, I hate running more than anything in this world. And that's exactly what I had to do.

I was not a happy Kat.

I looked back, finding that Norah and one of her amazingly oversized bodyguard dudes were chasing me. I gasped and persisted running, but I have never been a very good runner. I swerved trees and fallen branches, tears threatening to come out my eyes. If they caught me, they would use me against Zayn. What would they do to him? What would they do to Kristy, Megan, Julia, and Riley? What about the rest if the boys?

Everyone was in danger.

"Give up now, I know as well as you do that you can't hold up!" Norah called to me. I looked back, making eye contact with her for a moment, just long enough to control my emotions and know that I was saving myself and Zayn as long as I kept running. If I could continue occupying these two, no one else would have to for the moment, right?