~the ether of belonging~

Anamika's P.O.V.

~~~

I stared at the scene in front of me, which was an outcome of my stupid daughter's impulsive decision.

The airport of Delhi behind me was buzzing with life and humanity. There were so many people either arriving or departing from the main doors; some of them happy on going on a long, relaxing vacation and some, sad on letting go of someone they loved- from students who wish to study abroad to people who are willing to serve their duty on the border.
A whoozing sound came from the sky above and I tilted my head upwards to find an airplane taking off.

"Maa!", Aaghyaa's voice was loud enough to be heard amidst the engines of the gigantic vehicle.

I looked back at her to find her waving at me to go to her quickly.
She was standing beside a taxi with our two luggages being put in the backseat by that taxi's driver.
I pulled up the strap of my purse and walked towards her.

"Come, quickly! We will get late for the train!"

I was not ready for this.
Not at all.
She sensed my hesitation and grasped my hand.

"Do you believe in me?"

"That's not the point, Aaghyaa-"

"Do you believe that whatever I am planning to do is for your best?", she asked.

I nodded; unsure of what to say.

"Just get in, okay? I have planned it all out. You do not need to rack your brains.", she announced and opened the door of the taxi. I gave her a look and got inside.
She went all the way round and sat beside me in the backseat.
Within seconds, we were making our way through the busy morning street in the city of Delhi to reach the train station.

The streets here are nothing like that in our city. With people always running with the clock, the hustle and bustle here is unmatchable. As we explored the various roads of the Capital City, I saw what I had never seen anywhere. Liveliness.
The promising voices of the shopkeepers telling you that their sarees were the best, the murmurs of the ladies beside on a vegetable stall, bargaining with the vendor along with back-bitching about their in-laws, young girls eating pani-puris on a stall, a man buying bangles for his wife, and a woman trying on different jhumkas to impress her husband, the children haphazardly riding cycles and screaming with delight after their day at school was finally over, and the fresh, fresh aroma of different sweets being cooked in a large pot, coupled with the spicy, tangy smell of chats that tickled my nostrils- this, this is the Capital of India. This is Delhi.

I glanced at Aaghyaa who was looking out the opened window and furiously clicking pictures on her camera.
When she saw me looking at her, she smiled and snapped a picture of me laughing.

When the highway started, she closed the windows and sighed.

"This is his city. This is where he lives.", she said dreamily while looking out the window.

"He lives here?", I asked incredulously.
That's when I realised that I had never known where he lived.

"Not here, exactly. In Faridabad.", she whispered.

"Would you like to visit? We can surely divert our path and-"

"No, Maa. This trip is for you. Not for me.", she shook her head.

I clicked my tongue and said, "I...I don't think I am ready for this."

"You never will be until someone compelled you to.", she shrugged.