~an idyllic birthday~

Aaghyaa's P.O.V.

A few days later.

~~~

"You know you need to start thinking about that, right?", Maa said as she turned the car around the nook and we eventually, entered our society.

"Yeah, Maa. Chill. I have searched and gathered information about a few universities online; the best being Silver Oak. And besides, students don't need to give an entrance exam to get into it. It takes you in based on your school merit!", I said excitedly.

She parked the car in our driveway and without looking at me, said, "And for that, you need to score good in your boards, which, if you don't know, is only a few months away."

I sighed at her taunting tone.

"Mom, it's my birthday today! Can we please have this conversation afterwards?", I whined.

She looked at her wristwatch and said, "It's only two hours before your birthday ends. We will talk about it at 12 tonight."

God, is she adamant!

We exited the car together and I took the keys from her to open the lock on the main door.

No sooner had I stepped foot on the floor of the house, than I literally took of my pencil heels and threw them on the floor and myself on the sofa.
Tuffy barfed towards me and I petted him and ran my fingers through his soft coat of fur.
That distracted dog ran away from me soon after and resumed playing with his small ball at the far corner of the room.

I massaged my sore feet.
The black heels that I have been wearing all day has killed my feet in the most literal sense possible.
Maa was all good, as she just wears sleeveless sarees and rarely any other piece of clothing.

She lifted me up from the sofa and inspected me from top to bottom.
"Haaye! How pretty you look in this dress! You should wear these more often than those baggy and loose hoodies you wear everytime. You look more like a girl now.", she smiled at me.

I rolled my eyes at the classic, desi stereotypical Maa that stood in front of me.

But, yeah, she was right.
I was wearing a pure black, lacy cocktail, body fit dress that Maa had gifted me today morning itself.
Coupled with that, my left wrist was cladded by a silver 'kadaa' and from my ears, silver loop earings dangled.
My black hair with strands of burgundy highlights that ran through the length of it, were hanging loose on my shoulders.
I remember the look of complete disapproval on her face when I had came from the salon after colouring it.

"I am not compelled to obey you now, since I am officially eighteen and an adult now.", I sassed.

She snorted.
"Adult? Beta, let me remind you what happened just today morning when you yelled my name because there was a cockroach in your room and you were 'too little', as per your words by the way, to remove it from your room."

Well.
That was a good reply.
I cannot contradict that.

Upon seeing the defeated look on my face, she laughed.

We both went to a bowling alley today and balled there till evening.
After that, we went to a restaurant and ate what I liked the most, pizzas.
And finally after that, she took me too a small cake shop named Ombré.
Never in my life had I imagined that I will spend my birthday with Maa.
It was the first time I had celebrated something with Maa.
And with the Grace of God, I did not regret it at all.