22. Please...

Akara

The ride to Rune's apartment was silent. As I forced myself into the taxi, Rune was giving me a cold shoulder. I respected his decision and kept my mouth shut... until we got out of the taxi.

"Don't tell me you are living here..." I mumbled, my gaze stuck on the twenty-floor grey apartment building.

"I do, so what?" Rune snorted angrily and entered the building with his key. Still horrified, I followed him in and we took the elevator to the fifth floor. Then, we walked to the fourth door which was the last on the floor.

"I am home, so you can leave me alone now," Rune said coldly, his hand resting on the doorknob.

"No way," I replied as I snatched the key from his hand, unlocked the door and walked into his flat.

"GET OUT!" Rune shouted, but I couldn't move an inch, too shocked even to blink.

It was an open-concept small flat and there was literally nothing in the flat... Only an uncomfortable-looking old brown sofa, a small coffee table and six something luggage at the corner...

My gaze swept through the empty kitchen counter and empty living room area, and I felt my soul leave my body.

"Y-You... don't... no..." I heard myself mumbling incoherently, more guilt adding to my heart. How come I managed to ruin his life to that extent?

"If you invaded my privacy enough, get out," Rune said coldly and opened the door for me to get out.

Even if it was for a second, I saw him swaying a bit and it brought my lost soul back. I ripped his hand off the door gently and closed it again. Then I pulled him towards the sofa and made him sit, ignoring his objections.

"I will prepare something to eat for you," I said determinedly and went to the kitchen. One by one, I opened all the drawers, but there was nothing! I also checked the mini fridge, but the result was the same... nothing... not even water...

"Why don't you have anything to eat?" I asked with concern and Rune glared at me with fires in his light brown eyes.

"I don't cook, remember? Oh wait, your mind was filled with revenge, so of course you didn't notice it," he taunted me as he got rid of his tie and jacket. He threw them onto the hand rest of the sofa and lay down. "I am tired, so leave now," he said, putting his arm over his eyes.

"Then sleep while I order some food," I said firmly and fished out my phone. As I heard the address when Rune told it to the taxi driver, I didn't need his cooperation. Quickly, I ordered two Tofu Pad Thai and sat on the coffee table because there was no other option since Rune occupied the entire sofa.

Although he pretended to be strong, just by looking at his sleeping figure, I could see how shaken he was. Now and then, his body was jolting slightly as if hit by an invisible force. Though I couldn't see the agitated expression on his face due to his arm over his eyes, I could still see his hands clenched into fists.

In order to find something like a blanket to cover him, I checked the luggage, but rather found something unexpected.

My old clothes... the ones Rune bought for me... the ones I left behind while leaving his house.

So, you didn't throw them away, ha? I said inwardly to the sleeping figure and with a sigh, I continued my search. Unfortunately, he didn't have any blankets and his small clothes weren't enough to cover him properly. Heaving another sigh, I decided my old black cardigan was the best choice as I was twice Rune's size. Gently, I covered his sleeping figure with the cardigan and sat back on my previous spot, my elbows resting on my knees.

I was tired. So tired. The more I learned about Rune's new life which was hell, the more agitated I was getting. It was hard to guess what a single thoughtless act could cause, but like ripples, with only one action, I ruined his life completely.

Now he looked like he had given up his life all together...

The doorbell snapped me out of my miserable thoughts. I rushed to the door to get the packages, then I placed the containers on the coffee table, got rid of the lids and put the chopsticks on the cups.

"Rune, wake up, the food is here," I patted his arm and he woke up with difficulty.

"I am not hungry," he said and wanted to continue with sleeping, so I had to grab his arms and pull him up gently.

"You need to eat, then you can sleep."

"I am not getting orders from you," he said coldly as he ripped my hands off himself.

"Please..." I begged him, tears welling into my eyes uncontrollably.

He stared at me, startled, then he sat upright without a word. Well, until he saw the cardigan. "Where did you find this?!" he almost shouted, throwing it to the other side of the room.

"From one of the luggage, I was looking for a blanket, but there was none," I explained as I sat on the floor in front of the coffee table.

"I don't keep them or something... I wanted to burn them but had no time," he declared, his pupils flickering right to left, looking everywhere except me.

"I understand," I said softly, not wanting to make him more angry, "let's eat."

"Mnn," he murmured and got the container, "it is..."

"Pad Thai with tofu, I hope you also like this one," I said hesitantly as Chicken Pad Thai was impossible after what happened.

Rune didn't reply, but rather started to eat with small bites.

A tiny baby step and a full stomach... it was enough for me... at least for the time being...