37. The First Part

Akara

When Rune said he wasn't sleeping much, I knew it wasn't because of the uncomfortable sofa but because of the nightmares. As Rune was too sensitive for his own good, he was affected greatly by anything bad.

So I pretended to sleep, knowing Rune would do his best not to sleep before I did.

I didn't know how much time passed, but eventually Rune fell asleep and I opened my eyes to look at him. Luckily, his beautiful face seemed peaceful, so I heaved a relieved sigh and hooked an arm around his waist in case he had a nightmare later. Then I closed my eyes again and followed Rune to the dreamland with a smile.

Well, it didn't last long like usual.

Thanks to my arm around his waist, I woke up immediately when I felt his restless wiggling. Poor Rune was fighting with a nightmare, his tears mixing his sweat. Hastily yet gently, I gathered his wiggly body into my arms and called out his name to wake him up. At first he didn't respond, but eventually he opened his bloodshot eyes and looked at me, disoriented.

I whispered soothing words to his ear and wiped his sweat as I waited for him to calm down. It must have been hell of a nightmare because Rune snuggled up to me as much as possible and his trembling didn't subside immediately. Being afraid he would catch a cold, I covered him with the blanket and hugged him tight.

"I am... sorry..."

Hearing his tormented voice, my heart skipped a beat. Even in that condition, he was apologetic towards me. I kissed his hair lovingly and assured him that I was happy to be with him.

He hummed and soon I felt his body become motionless again as he fell asleep. I didn't want to disturb him, so I maintained our position and just rested my head on the headboard.

Fortunately, Rune didn't have a second nightmare that night.

"Akara, wake up."

I half opened my eyes, hearing Rune's voice.

"We're gonna be late, wake up," he repeated again with a higher voice, so I took a sitting position on the bed, rubbing my eyes.

When I was fully awake, I noticed the delicious smell and my eyes got stuck on the paper bowls on the coffee table.

"Did you buy breakfast?" I asked with astonishment as if it wasn't obvious.

Rune nodded as he tucked a thread of hair behind his ear shyly, "take it as an apology for last night."

Sighing, I got off the bed and stood in front of him. Grabbing his small hands, I said "there is nothing to be apologetic for. I am so happy to have you here, never forget that."

He blushed profusely and saved his hands from my grip before sitting on the sofa. Chuckling slightly, I mimicked him and we had breakfast together. Maybe because it was Rune who bought it, the food tasted more delicious than usual, but when I shared this thought with Rune, he slapped my arm.

Cute yet shy, hehe.

After breakfast, we got ready and left the house earlier as we had some spy work to do in the hotel. As we couldn't find any evidence other than the weird accounts, we decided to strike on Thursday. As I already heard the conversation between Panit and Jake, and learnt about the hidden elevator, we would use that opportunity to gain evidence.

First, we went to an electronics store and bought a few tiny cameras. Then we waited until lunchtime and when Panit was sleeping in his office, I got his card and we went to the hidden elevator.

"Look at that, who would have guessed my dear relatives were this professional!" Rune commented bitterly with a doleful demeanour.

I patted him on the shoulder, trying to give him some reassurance, "you have no part in this dirty game, so don't feel bad."

He shrugged with a pout, "okay, let's see," he said and pressed Panit's card on the sensor. With a ding sound, the elevator's door opened.

"There are only -2, -1 and 16," Rune ran his fingers through the buttons, "and I thought there were only fifteen floors."

"So we have a private floor for illegal meetings," I said, appreciating the level of dedication. Then I checked the elevator, but there was no spot appropriate to hide a camera as all sides were mirrors. "We need to put the camera out," I said, pointing at the mirrors.

Rune nodded absent-mindedly and we left the elevator. Thinking the best spot was the wall facing the elevator, I brought a ladder and installed the camera towards the ceiling where it was almost hidden because of the huge pipe.

Once done, Rune took the elevator to the sixteenth floor and we played a little game to deceive the staff of the hidden area.

"How was it?" I asked as soon as Rune emerged from the elevator.

He showed me the things in his hands and smiled triumphantly.

We were ready.