x. captured

STARS WERE STILL SCATTERED across the sky when Kailani awoke the next morning. A faint golden glow began to collect on the horizon, a hint towards the sunrise that would soon follow. The base was quiet, lifeless, and Kailani wrapped her arms around herself as a cool breeze blew through her hair. She wore a large dark hoodie that sported the familiar Overwatch logo, though not even that was enough to protect her from the winter breeze.

As she entered the hangar, the large airship that would take the team to Havana looming in the shadows, she thought she was alone. She settled down just outside of the ship, pulling her knees to her chest as a puff of smoke formed at her lips. A few moments later, movement in the corner of her eye caught her attention, and she turned to see Winston appearing out of the shadows. The gorilla scientist seemed unfazed by the low temperatures, and Kailani suddenly found herself envying the fur coat that covered his body.

"Rise and shine," he greeted her cheerfully, fangs showing as he grinned towards her. His tesla cannon, an infamous electrical weapon that the gorilla had invented himself, was strapped across his back, and he wore a suit of white armor with the Overwatch logo plastered on the arms. "Are you ready?"

"I'm ready to get out of this cold, that's for sure," Kailani grumbled, though she shot the scientist a small smile in greeting.

Winston chuckled, a soft huff of air that caused a cloud of smoke to form at his lips. He settled down beside Kailani, gesturing her closer with a large hand. She obeyed, leaning into his furry arm and sighing contently as his body heat warmed her almost immediately. She rested her head on his broad shoulder, her eyes fluttering shut and her body slowly ceasing its shivering.

Kailani had nearly fallen back asleep when the deep voice of Winston suddenly met her ears, and the gorilla scientist's body vibrated beneath her as he spoke. She sat up, vision cloudy as she forced her sleepiness away for the second time that morning, and noticed the rest of the team finally entering the hangar. Their bodies were cast in silhouettes, the glowing orange sun shining behind them as it rose over the walls of the base. Kailani was able to recognize Genji's figure almost immediately; his broad shoulders and glowing green lights stood him apart from the others fairly easily.

She shot to her feet, more than ready to be in Havana already. Beside her, Winston did the same, gesturing for the rest of the team to follow him onto the airship. Genji stopped for a moment beside Kailani, fully in view now that his figure blocked the sunlight. He wore his visor, eyes hidden by a glowing green strip of light, though Kailani knew that he was looking down at her. She smiled up at him, heart growing warm as his soft voice came from within his cybernetic suit.

"Are you sure you are up for this?"

Uneasiness was evident in his tone as he shifted his weight back and forth. She knew that Genji spent most of his time worrying about her safety; she had stopped arguing against it once she realized that there was really nothing she could do about it. She appreciated the concern he had for her, although sometimes it made her feel as though she was a child with an overly-protective father.

Reaching out and brushing her fingers over the cybernetic sleeve that covered his hand, Kailani began to board the airship. The rest of the team were waiting for them inside, leaving the pair in the hangar alone. "I'll be okay, Genji. I have you with me."

Kailani's throat felt tight as she stared around her with wide eyes. The streets of Havana were bustling with activity- normal people going about their everyday lives. They were unaware of the two Overwatch agents standing amongst them; even more so unaware of the gorilla scientist that was currently hiding atop a nearby building.