- twelve.

KAILANI WAS UNSURE WHAT exactly pulled her out of the comfort Genji's arms and the warmth of the bed kindly given to them by Asa that night. What she did know, however, was that no matter how hard she tried, she was unable to fall asleep. So, after hours of laying in bed staring at the ceiling and listening to the soft snores falling from Genji's parted lips (he was exhausted and it was the first time the cyborg had managed to get some rest in several days) she climbed out of the bed and snuck out of the bedroom.

The tiny house in which Asa resided was pitch black. Kailani guessed that the elderly woman was fast asleep in the bedroom across the hall, so she did her best not to make any noise as she tiptoed down the rickety staircase. Remnants of the delicious smells that filled the kitchen earlier that evening swarmed her senses as she stepped into the kitchen, though she ignored the soft rumble of her belly telling her that her dinner had already worn off.

Kailani was surprised to find the living room empty when she entered. Hanzo had taken the couch after giving up his room to her and Genji, but the elder Shimada brother was nowhere to be seen. His bow and arrows were also missing. Curious, Kailani made her way over to the front door and stepped outside.

The air was cool against her bare skin as she pulled the door shut behind her. She shivered slightly and wrapped her arms around her tightly. She squinted against the darkness, for she was just barely able to make out a figure standing beneath the lone sakura tree in the moonlight. As her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting, Kailani realized that it was Hanzo. She snuck over to him, mumbling a soft greeting as soon as she was in earshot.

The next thing she knew, a bow was being pointed directly at her chest, the silver tip of the arrow glistening in the moonlight. Kailani quickly held up her hands in surrender, eyes wide. After a moment, Hanzo seemed to recognize her. A gruff apology fell from his lips, and he lowered his weapon. Noticing the crestfallen expression on the man's face, Kailani leaned against the trunk of the tree beside him.

"You shouldn't push him away," she whispered. As she spoke, Hanzo turned a cold glare onto her. She held up her hands in defense once more; it was no secret that he and Genji were brothers. She once had to act as though she was walking on broken eggshells around the younger Shimada brother, as well. "I'm not trying to force myself into family business," she said to him with a roll of her eyes. "I'm simply saying this because I care about him."

"As do I," Hanzo retorted matter-of-factly. "He is my brother. I am not pushing him away because I do not love him. I am doing it to protect him."

Part of Kailani was relieved to hear his words. Knowing that Hanzo still cared for his brother gave her a sense of comfort, yet she had no idea what to say in response. She glanced down, the ground suddenly seeming as though it was the most interesting thing in the world. She drew designs aimlessly in the dirt with her shoe, and she did her best to pretend that she didn't notice the way Hanzo was watching her closely. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the older Shimada brother parting his lips as if he wanted to say something; then, a moment later, they would clamp shut again in the same tight-lipped frown that he often wore on his features.

After what seemed like lifetimes of an awkward silence broken only by the occasional sound of the night, Hanzo spoke. His voice was soft, hesitant, as if he wasn't sure if he really wanted to hear his words. "Does it hurt?"

Confused, Kailani looked at him. "What?"

"His wounds," he offered. "Do they hurt him?"

Kailani hesitated for a moment, wondering if she should tell him about the mental anguish that Genji had gone through whilst trying to accept his new body. She sighed, realizing that pushing the guilt that came with that knowledge onto Hanzo would be unfair. "Not anymore," she said softly and shook her head.