Chapter 15: Tonight, Together (Blake's P.O.V.)

Chapter 15: Tonight, Together (Blake’s P.O.V.)

I wonder what was wrong with Charlotte. She seems to be overly emotional. I really thought that she was serious when she said she hated me. Well, her face said so.

I was relieved when she told me she didn’t. I was scared that she might not talk to me for the rest of my life. That would definitely defeat my purpose for being here.

I finished mopping the wet floor and went to the restroom in the living room to throw away the water in the pail. When I came out, Charlotte was walking towards me, in sky blue pajama pants, with a frown.

I approached her with a big smile but she held up her hand, signalling me to stop in my tracks.

“Don’t come near me. I can’t keep on changing clothes for tonight,” she said and took the pail and the mop form me. She handed me my shirt and continued, “Go shower. Leave your wet clothes with mine. I’ll take care of this.”

I smiled in response as she walked away, going to where the cleaning materials were stored. I then proceeded to her bedroom where the only bathroom is located in.

I guess I couldn’t sleep in the clothes I usually sleep in, which is only in my boxer shorts, since I am with Charlotte. So I took my matching red and black pajama outfit along with a towel and went inside the bathroom.

As I was taking a quick shower, flashbacks of Charlotte’s crying face crept its way into my distant mind. The first thought was when she cried just moments ago, seeming desperate to convince me that she didn’t hate me. I smiled as I realized how much she wanted me to know that. It gave me hope that maybe she loved me, too. The second thought was about ten years ago when we last had any contact. It hurt to look right into her hurt and tearful eyes, begging me to let her go. The last thought was this morning when she was crying in front of the TV. She said it was because of the movie she was watching. But it didn’t seem to be the case. Why does that incident keep on haunting me? I have to know the answer now or else I’ll go crazy.

I stepped out of the bathroom fully clothed and saw Charlotte on her bed, probably waiting for me.

She then went to the bathroom and put all our wet clothes in the washing machine.

“Oh, yeah, Blake?” she called out.

“Yes?” I excitedly responded and went to the bathroom door, sticking my head in.

“You can get pillows and blankets from the leftmost cabinet,” she said, without looking at me, as she put some detergent powder into the machine and pressed a button which started the washing process.

I walked towards the said cabinet. She probably forgot that I already took out some pillows from it this morning.

This morning where she was crying in front of the TV.

“Charlotte?” I called out while opening the cabinet.

“Yes?” she quickly answered, walking towards her bed.

I turned to look at her, hesitating a little. I’m scared of what her reaction might be. She was retrieving her mobile phone from the bedside table and then sat comfortably on her bed.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked, turning my back on her again and proceeded to get two pink pillows and one big pink blanket. I couldn’t see any other color except for pink with its different shades.

“Sure. What is it?”

I turned to face her again. She was typing away on her mobile phone.

Again, I hesitated. But I had to know so I started, “When you were watching that movie this morning, you were crying.”

In an instant, she looked up at me. I’m not sure what emotions she felt at the time. She looked angry, confused, surprised, and afraid all at the same time. She didn’t say anything so I took it as, “Go on.”

“You said you just got carried away but, really, you weren’t, were you? May I ask the real reason why you were crying?” I inquired before losing my courage.

Because of that, a lone tear trickled down her left cheek. One did the same on the right. Within seconds, tears were streaming down her face. Once again, I was the reason for it.

Charlotte was now crying hard, shaking uncontrollably, and needed support. I panicked and ran to embrace her, dropping the sleeping paraphernalia I held in my hands.

I held her and remorsefully said, “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have asked. I should have just minded my own business. I’m so sorry.”

She didn’t respond and continued crying. At least this time she did so in my arms. Eventually, she calmed down although still sniffling. I took it as my cue to leave so I did. But Charlotte got hold of the end of my left sleeve.

I looked back at her and she gave me a pleading look. “Please stay,” she beckoned.

How ironic! A few years ago, she was begging me to let her go and now, she’s asking me to stay. But, of course, the second option was better. I would love to stay beside her for as long as she wants.

“Of course, I’ll stay. I’ll just pick up things I dropped,” I said while pointing to the pink pillows and blanket on the floor.

I gave her a reassuring smile and then, she let go. I picked everything up and came back to Charlotte. She gave me a small smile of gratitude.

I hope you won't give up on this story 'cause I certainly won't.. Thanks for reading!! :)