Chapter 5: I Tried to Take Care of You (Blake's P.O.V.)

Chapter 5: I Tried to Take Care of You (Blake’s P.O.V.)

I was preparing breakfast when I heard a loud thud coming from the living room. I ran and saw Charlotte on the floor, her face full of pain. I knelt down beside her and asked if she was okay. When she opened her eyes, I saw more agony as she whispered my name.

I was a little happy knowing that she still remembers me but the sorrow in her eyes made me sad and regret the things I didn’t do all those years. A few seconds ticked by and again, I asked her whether she was alright or not. I also asked her if she could stand and tried to help her up. She attempted to sit up herself but was unsuccessful. She shook her head in desperation.

When her eyes slowly fluttered close, I panicked and all I could do was to shout her name. I just stared at her for a minute and was relieved to see that she was breathing normally. I lifted her up with ease and carried her to her bedroom. After laying her safely down and tucking her in, I went back to the living room to search for her mobile phone.

The sudden ringing of said device startled me a little but it made the task at hand easier. I found Charlotte’s mobile phone on the end of the couch where her feet would be. How many times she would have shifted on the very little and uncomfortable space she had to sleep in for her mobile phone to have been found on a place very far from her reach.

I looked at the screen and saw the name Amy. I remember her as Charlotte’s best friend. I had an idea why she called.

“Charlotte, where are you? If you’re going to come late, you should at least warn us,” Amy blabbered right after I pressed answer and brought the device to my left ear.

“I’m sorry but Charlotte won’t make it today,” I answered as calmly as I could.

Amy gasped on the other line then spoke angrily, “Who are you? Why do you have Charlotte’s phone? What did you do to my best friend? If you’re holding her captive…”

“Calm down, Amy. Charlotte is safe and fine. She’s just tired today. She’s resting in her room right now,” I said, cutting her off.

“Who is this? Again, why do you have Charlotte’s phone? More importantly, why are you with her? She never told me she had a boyfriend.”

I smiled at the information handed to me. “My apologies. It’s me, Blake, Britney’s elder brother.”

“Oh my gosh! Why are you…?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll explain things to Charlotte first and then maybe she’ll tell you the details later. You can also ask Britney if you want. I’m sorry but right now, I will have to attend to Charlotte’s needs. You’ll have to explain things to your co-workers. Bye.”

I know that there was nothing serious about what happened to Charlotte. Maybe she couldn’t stand because of the shock her body felt when she fell and she passed out because of lack of sleep. I just hope that Amy wouldn’t worry so much about it. I also hope that she would trust me in taking care of her best friend.