Chapter 4: Bittersweet Memory

It was Valentine's Day and was Blake's last year in high school. I decided to give him something, at least, to send him off to his college life. Britney arranged for us to meet.

I was never able to talk to Blake after our sleepover last year. I never had the courage to. I do remember that he loved cakes so I immediately practiced baking and grew to love it.

It was Sunday so I had the whole day to prepare for our late afternoon meeting. I already decided to bake my original recipe. It's a strawberry cheesecake covered in chocolate with strawberries on top. Amy and Britney already tasted it before and they said it was good.

When I was done baking, I took a slice and reserved it for later. Amy and Britney came at three in the afternoon. They chose what I would be wearing and how I would do my hair. They had smiles that showed in their eyes. They actually seemed more excited than me.

They chose my light pink dress and I put a white cardigan over it. They decided to let my hair down and apply very light make-up. It was already four when they seemed to be satisfied with me. We were set to meet at the park at four-thirty so we took off with the cake that I put in a disposable container with a disposable fork.

We arrived just in time but Blake was already there. He was playing with some children in the playground and it melted my heart to see that. He was such a handsome guy inside and out.

"Blake, we're here," Britney called out.

Blake turned with a smile and I looked down on instinct.

"Come on, kids. Let's play over there," Amy suggested and the children replied with a happy "yay". Britney went along, too, and left me alone with Blake.

I didn't expect this turn of events and was now shaking.

"Happy Valentine's Day," Blake said.

I looked up and he was smiling at me. I found myself smiling sheepishly at him, too.

"Happy Valentine's Day," I said with my head lowered and offered him the cake.

When he took it, I turned and prepared to run. I could have gotten away if he hadn't held my arm and stopped me.

"Let's share it," he simply said and I was somehow dragged to a bench.

He sat on one side of the bench and I sat a few inches away from him. I was still planning to escape. I'll do it when he starts eating.

"If you're planning to escape, I can always chase you, you know," he said without looking at me. What is he, a mind reader? He opened the container, smiled and said, "Looks good. Did you buy it?"

"I... baked it myself," I said with a soft voice.