Chapter 9: Cooking Up a Competition

Blake's eyes lit up when the cake was baked. The serious look was gone in a second. Unfortunately, I still had to chill it.

"Sorry, Blake, but the cake has to be chilled before eaten. Don't worry. We won't have to stand idly by. While waiting, I'll be preparing dinner. Would you like fried fish, fried chicken, fish fillet, or chicken fillet?"

"Is it okay to order something else?"

"Why? Don't you like fried food?"

"It's not like that. It's just that the selection only has fried food. I mean, I like fried food, too, but isn't there something else?" Blake asked hesitantly.

I got a little irritated by his ungratefulness. I didn't want to initiate a fight so I took a deep breath to calm myself before responding.

"Well, I'm sorry for only being good at pastries and not at cooking dinner. I only know how to fry stuff so if you don't want that, then we can order pizza or something you would want," I answered with the best smile I could make at the moment.

"This is where I come in! You may not believe it but I've received training from the world's best chef!" Blake excitedly exclaimed.

"Are you sure? I mean, you are my guest. I should be making dinner for you."

"It's the least I could do. And please don't treat me as a guest. I can even be your doorman or servant as payment for my living expenses. I could even teach you to cook 'proper meals' if you want."

"Alright. I'll take what I can. Let's start, then."

"Good! Today we're going to make chicken curry," Blake declared as he imitated those step-by-step cooking show hosts on TV.

Since it was the first day of our private cooking class, as Blake insisted on calling it that, I wasn't allowed to touch anything yet. I just sat there watching and listening as Blake prepared chicken curry.

I didn't really believe him when he said it but he actually did a great job. I was impressed by his cooking skills. It may not be the world's greatest chef who taught him but a very skillful person certainly did.

"We'll just wait for a few minutes and it will be ready," Blake announced as he finished cooking.

As Blake was replacing the lid, the doorbell rang. I checked my watch for the time and it was already seven. Normally, I wouldn't be home at seven in the evening so no one usually came. It was weird having a guest at this hour.

I was on my feet when Blake declared that he would get it. "I am your doorman after all," he said as he walked by me. I smiled as he hurried towards the door. I am getting used to him here. I think I am already enjoying his company.

I didn't know what to do as I just sat there and stared at the set aside chicken curry. I stood up to follow Blake who was already opening the door.

The door opened to reveal my talkative best friend with our silent co-worker. The restaurant closes at eight but we rarely get to go home by that time so it was a complete shock to see them here now.

"You really are here!" Amy squealed.

I jumped up a little, surprised by Amy's high-pitched voice and by the fact that she expected Blake to be here.

"Come in," Blake simply said.

When both of them got inside, Amy saw me. She ran up to me and gave me a warm hug. She then said, "Why are you up? You're supposed to be resting."

"I'm fine, Amy. I'm not sick at all. I just... overslept," I answered almost whispering the last sentence.

"That is so unfair, Charlotte! Tom had to make all the desserts and pastries," Amy declared.

I turned to look at Tom apologetically while his eyes looked at me with worry. There were only two of us in the desserts section and I just left him there alone when I was peacefully sleeping in my room. I felt so guilty.

"I'm so sorry, Tom. I was planning to go even if I was late," I apologized. He smiled at me in response.

"So, what is Blake doing here?" Amy asked.

"He, um, he..." I stuttered.

"I needed a place to stay and Charlotte was very kind to offer me the couch," Blake responded with a big smile.

"You're going to live with her?" Tom asked.

"Just for a few days or weeks if she'll let me."

Tom narrowed his eyes at Blake and Blake did the same. What were they doing? Maybe it's a male thing. I probably wouldn't understand it and I most likely shouldn't interfere.

"Ok, alright, break it up," Amy said as she came between the two. She sniffed the air, smiled, and said, "So, what's for dinner?"

Hope you had fun reading this chapter..  :)