Chapter 10: Two Became Four

I tried not to laugh at what Amy said. I was half successful because I only giggled which, for me, was worse. I hate it when I giggle. I feel like people think I want attention even though I don't.

I gestured for all of them to follow me to the kitchen. I then prepared the table for four people while Blake poured the curry in a bowl.

"For dinner, we have chicken curry by yours truly," Blake proudly announced.

"Hurray!" Amy cheered as she clapped her hands.

Then, I realized that I haven't cooked any rice. I don't know about Blake and Tom but Amy and I couldn't possible live without rice. I started sweating as panic rose.

If I cook some now, it would be too late. If I buy some, it will take less time so I decided on going for it.

"I'm sorry. I forgot the rice. Blake, come with me," I said as I stood up.

I grabbed my wallet and opened the door. When Blake and I got out, the door next to mine opened.

Mrs. Strangard came out carrying three containers. One was considerably bigger than the other two.

"Oh, what great timing, dear. I was just about to come see you," she said with a warm smile.

"You were going to see us?" I absentmindedly asked.

"Yes. Here you go, young man," she told Blake, handing him the containers. "You see, I was about to have dinner with my youngest son so I made more than what I usually eat for dinner. But, he said they couldn't make it because his wife suddenly fell ill. I do hope she's alright. I couldn't possibly let the food go to waste so I'm giving you some. I hope you eat a lot of rice because I put a lot in there. I also put fried chicken and breaded shrimp. My grandchildren love them. Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't keep you. You go and eat your dinner now."

I embraced her and said, "Thank you for always being there to help me at the most desperate times."

"It's my pleasure, dear," she replied as she rubbed my back gently. She then went back inside her room.

"Wait. How did she know I was home? I mean I usually go home at about nine," I suddenly realized and said to myself.

"Dunno. She must have psychic powers," Blake responded.

We then went back inside.

"That was fast," Amy remarked.

"I have a very kind neighbour who always gives me answers before I even ask the question," I said.

Blake then prepared the rice, fried chicken, and breaded shrimp. Now, the table is all set so we ate.