Chapter 22: Thank God for Hometowns

I smiled at the graves where my parents laid resting in peace knowing that they still somehow heard me. I was so glad to have everything off of my chest and was very grateful to Blake at that.

"And you don't have to worry about me. Blake will be there to help me out. Right, Blake?" I looked up at him as I waited for the answer that I already knew without even asking.

"I promise," he answered with so much certainty and conviction that the tears I have been holding in managed to escape my eyes and I wiped them as they started flowing down my cheeks.

I, once again, faced the two stones that marked the place where my parents were laid to rest, smiled at the bouquet of flowers carefully placed in the middle, and conveyed, "I love you."

This time, I let the tears flow knowing that they were no longer of sorrow but of relief, comfort, and love. And these were the emotions that enveloped me as two strong arms wrapped around me.

I clung on to Blake's arms for dear life as I continued to cry my heart out. Thankfully, Blake held on to me as firmly as he had promised me and my parents that he would always be there.

When I finally calmed down, I grabbed Blake for support and stood up. He then carefully placed my head in between his hands; both his palms touched both my cheeks. He then wiped my tears away and smiled sweetly at me. My heart fluttered as I tried to smile back.

We strolled, hand in hand, away from my parents' tombs and back to Britney's cute little pink car. I looked back and smiled one last time, Blake doing the same. Wherever Mom and Dad are, I'm sure they're smiling.

When we got to Britney's car, she was standing by the door, facing her pink mobile phone. She was smiling, too. She saw us and smiled brighter as she waved at us. Blake and I both waved back with our free hands.

When we got closer, Britney went in the driver's seat. I was about to enter the car and sit beside her but Blake never let my hand go. I looked at our still entwined hands and raised my eyebrows at him. He smiled sheepishly then opened the door to the back seat. It took me a moment to realize that he wanted me to sit beside him and when I did, I couldn't help but blush. Who could refuse such a cute face? So, I slid into the back seat and Blake did the same, letting go of my hand for a second and then holding it again once we've both been settled.

"So, where to, Mr. and Mrs. Manansala?" Britney teased.

"Haha, very funny, Brit," Blake retorted.

"But I bet you really like the 'Mrs. Manansala' part, don't you?" Britney continued with her teasing while my supposedly "back-to-normal" cheeks have once again become a light shade of red.

"Zip it, Brat-ney!" Blake replied.

"Whatever, Cake!" Britney retaliated.

I was smiling and enjoying their banter but I immediately got worried that it might turn into a real fight so I interjected, "Guys, you don't have to argue so much."