Chapter 29 - Terminator Mode

Word Count: 3112

Reese sat on his bed staring into space when Adam knocked softly and entered the room.

"Hey, how you doing?" Adam asked, concern etched into his face.

"I've been better," Reese answered with a wry smile. "I was sort of expecting it, I knew I didn't really have a chance of getting her back, but Noah was still hoping. He tried over and over to call to her wolf, but her wolf never responded at all. Not a whisper, not a feeling, nothing, no emotion, absolute silence. If I hadn't seen her shift with my own eyes I would have thought she didn't even have a wolf."

"At least it's over," Adam said. "That's about the best I can come up with right now, your dad should be back soon, the other patrol should be on its way back."

"Yeah, great," Reese sighed, explaining to his dad wasn't going to be fun.

"I don't think he will be upset; I think he and the Luna were expecting this," Adam said. "At first I think they hoped you guys would work things out, but I think Luna figured out really quickly that Harper's heart was completely taken."

"Yeah, it was pretty plain to see," Reese said. "What about you? Any progress?"

"I'm losing her," Adam said, he stared at the floor. "She's so taken with Eden, and there's so much anger in her toward me. Even her wolf has stopped really responding to mine, I think the bond is really breaking since she accepted the rejection. And we found out something tonight about the siren mating bonds, I'm not sure I should tell you..."

"Go ahead," Reese gave a little snort. "It's done."

"They have the full mate bond now they've marked each other," Adam said slowly. "They didn't think Matt was Harper's second chance mate because she didn't feel the sparks when they touched, but now they do. She also got the siren mark, it's a design that looks like a tattoo on the chest, which they didn't think she would get because she's not a siren. So if Celie and Eden do get together, they will have the full mate bond when the time comes. If she'll get the full mate bond with Eden then I can't even use the mate bond as an excuse to give me a chance anymore. The only thing I can think of to mention now is having pups, I mean, you saw her with Faru, she loves kids. Maybe thinking she won't get pups of her own might sway her, but at this point, I'm not even sure that will work."

"I'm sorry, Adam," Reese said solemnly. "I was really hoping you had a shot, especially since she still felt the bond when we got here, and you felt the sparks when you touched."

"Yeah, I thought I had a shot for a while," Adam said. "But I don't think that anymore. I'm not giving up, but I'm not pinning all my hopes on it either."

Before Reese could reply there was a knock at the door and Alpha Lucas stuck his head in.

"How are you doing, Son?" Alpha Lucas asked.

"I'll be ok, Dad," Reese replied and tried to smile, but he knew it was halfhearted at best. "It sucks, but I was expecting it."

Alpha Lucas just laid his hand on Reese's shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm sorry, I was hoping..." Alpha Lucas trailed off.

"Me too," Reese said. "But I figured out right after we got here that it wasn't going to happen."

"So did I," Alpha Lucas said. "But I was still kinda hoping."

**

Celie, Eden, Porter, Harper, and Matt were toasting with a fresh bottle of champagne when a knock on the rec room glass door startled them all. They jumped up, prepared to fight some tritons when they saw a small group of sirens at the door.