Chapter 53 - The Captive Speaks

Word Count:  6453

Celie and Porter sprinted up to the house, Porter grabbed a cooler and filled it with beer and soda, and Celie popped two bags of popcorn, grabbed some chips and other snacks, two buckets of shrimp, then they ran back down to the dock warehouse after dropping a bucket with the guards to take to the spring pool. Celie waved toward Moira who was standing outside the warehouse door on her cell phone. She quickly ended her call and followed Celie and Porter back into the building.

"Oh, good, you brought some chips," Harper said, as they came back in. "I'm starving."

"You're always starving these days," Celie laughed, handing the bag over. "Any developments while we were gone?"

"Nope, hasn't said a word, or even struggled really," Lorelai said, popping open a soda.

"So she didn't take the news of her mate cheating on her well, huh?" Celie asked, peering into the tank.

"Would you take that news well?" Lorelai asked.

"My mate would never cheat on me, would you, Babe?" Celie said to Eden, who shook his head.

"Never, my love," Eden replied with a smile, pushing a lock of hair back from her face. "I have the most beautiful mate in the world, no one else could compare."

"Awwww," Harper and Luna Sophia cooed at them.

Celie tapped on the tank and the triton slowly rose to the surface.

"So, are you ready to talk to us yet?" Celie asked, leaning over the edge of the tank, surprising everyone.

The triton looked up at her solemnly but said nothing.

"What's your name?" Celie asked.

"Su," the triton replied softly.

"Cool, pretty name," Celie said, causing the triton to look up at her with a surprised expression. "Do you understand the situation you're in right now, Su?"

"Yes," Su replied

"Will you answer our questions?" Celie asked.

"Yes," Su said.

"Awesome, that makes this much easier," Celie said. "And that's a wise decision on your part, Lorelai here was really looking forward to torturing the information out of you, so you being cool about it makes this more comfortable for everyone. Do you want something to eat? Here, I brought a bucket of shrimp, I'm going to lower it down."

The triton looked up at Celie again, her brows drawn together and an expression of complete bafflement on her face, as though she were looking at something she'd never seen before. She reached through the net and grabbed the bucket and sniffed the contents before she began stuffing the shrimp in her mouth by the handful.

"I don't think anyone has ever been nice to her," Celie said sadly, shaking her head.

"They're not a nice race," Matt said.

"But we are," Celie said.

"No, we're not," Lorelai muttered.

They all sat around and ate their snacks, watching as Su stuffed handful after handful of shrimp into her mouth, often looking up at them in anger, fear, and confusion.

"Ok, now that everyone has had a snack," Celie said, wiping the popcorn butter on her shorts. "I think we can get started. Who wants to go first?"

"I will speak first," Eden said. "How long have you known Cole?"