31, Vent'anni

Coraline

My alarm sounds through the room, forcing me out of a lovely sleep.

I don't want to get up.

The deafening noise of my phone ringing forces my eyes open.

"Hallo, dear. Happy 18th birthday!"

Nana.

"Danke, nana. Wie gehts"

"Good dear, good. You enjoy your day, no work not today, alright?"

"Of course. Thank you, nana, Wiedersehen"

I didn't want the day off work. I hate my birthday. I don't like to feel special.

"Cora, my little girl. Well, not so little now as of today"

"I wish you wouldn't celebrate, c'mon ma. It's just another day"

"Oh but you're officially an adult. At least let us make this one year special"

I hear that every year.

"Nothings different about today. It's not like I'm exited to drink, or smoke or go to clubs. I've done all that. The only change is I'd be doing them legally"

What I said was true, not that I drink anyways.

"It's just an important day. It's getting closer to you growing up and being on your own. All I want is to spend as much time with you is all dear"

"Ma, Marco is 22 and is still at home. I'm sure he still will be at 30. I'm not going anywhere, you're going to be with me every year on this day until I'm dead"

"Wake up sleepy head" Thomas taunts.

"I'm awake" I mumble with my head under the pillow.

I was hoping that if I just stay here like this all day that no one will know what today is and I won't have to live through another year of annoyance.

Damiano better not of told everyone. I only told him to try to get him to get out of bed for a faster recovery.

"What's the need for me to be up?" I ask.

I want nothing more than to sleep all day.

"Well" I feel a dip in the bed as the pillows snatched off my head. "We're all having pancakes, then I'm taking you shopping"

Eww, I hate shopping against my will.

The only shopping I enjoy is instrument shopping.

"I hate shopping. Unless you're taking me to buy a new guitar, we're not going"

"Done deal. But at least let me buy you some clothes, either way we're doing a photo shoot later" he smirks, dragging me out of bed and into the bathroom. "Shower and get ready, I'll see you in the kitchen in an hour"

I hear him shut the bedroom door and I can't help but laugh at all of this.

Its very sudden and weird for him to insist I go shopping. And be ready so quick.

Somethings telling me Damiano told him about today; or at least told him something to coax me out of the house.

For what reason though?

This seems off, but I'm not going to bring attention to it. Tomorrow I'll ask if my question doesn't answer itself.

I finish in the shower and make my way into the room to find clothes.