Prologue

I slid down the hallway, her grimoire floating next to her. I laughed as my brother, Faris, shot another ash arrow at her.

"Take that back!" he yelled, but he was laughing too.

"Never!!" I called back, ducking into the bathroom and locking the door. Faris knocked on the door.

"Becks!" His voice was muffled through the thick wooden door. "Let me in!"

"No!" I said triumphantly. "Just wait until I get into the Blue Roses! I'll beat your ass one day, Faris!"

"Just you wait for when I get into a squad!"

"Ha. Fat chance!" she crowed.

"Beckie, Faris, you need to leave now!" she heard their mother say. "....Why is Beckie locked in the bathroom?"

".....Last minute bathroom break." Faris lied. I shook my head. I hated it when he lied, especially on her behalf. However, if it saved them both from the wrath of their mother, I could probably forgive him just this once.

"I'm done now, anyway." she said, unlocking the door and leaving the bathroom. Faris smiled at me sweetly, and her mother nodded.

"Do you both have everything you need? Did you eat enough already? Faris, don't forget-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't worry, I'll take care of her!"

"I can take care of myself!" I said indignantly.

"Sure you can at school. The exams are a whole different world. I bet the squads are, too." Faris nudged her.

I huffed. I had turned eighteen a few weeks before, and had decided to finally attempt to join a magic knight squad. Her brother was eight years older, 26, and was making his eleventh attempt. He was a powerful mage, especially now that he spent so much time training, but his skills often didn't help in battles due to a nasty habit he had.

"We should leave now," Faris suggested. "Beat the crowd."

"Okay," I agreed.