Chapter 12

The next morning I woke up from some sun rays shining gently on my face. I turned over, expecting to see Luck lying next to me, but he wasn't there.

"Luck?" I cried.

I sat up slightly leaning on my elbows. I looked around the room, to no avail. I was getting more worried by the minute.

"Luck? Where are you?" I started getting up, only to trip over something lying on the floor next to the bed. I barely caught myself and my arm skidded, giving me a carpet burn on the rug in the middle of the room.

"Ouch." I remarked, lifting my arm to assess the damage.

"Good morning." Luck said from the floor. He looked up and saw my burn.

"Who did that?" He was up in seconds, clad in his lightning claws and boots.

"We did."

"Kinda."

He cocked his head, giving himself that puppy look again, his armor dissolving.

"Well, I tripped over you and caught the rug, but it's not bad.

Besides, you scared the shit out of me! What are you doing on the floor?"

"Making sure nothing happens to you," he said sheepishly.

"And you couldn't have done that from the bed?" I laughed.

"Not as well. Every five minutes or so, I'd wake up from the floor being so hard, that way I can check quickly before going back to sleep."

"You're so silly." I got up and sat down on the bed.

"Not really. If something happened and I could've stopped it and I didn't... I-I wouldn't be able to forgive myself," he explained scratching the back of his head.

"Come here." I said patting the bed next to me.

Luck got up and sat down. He sat there for a while and just stared at me.

"Do I have something in my hair?" I asked, frantically combing through it.

Luck laughed.

"Look at me."

I turned my head towards him, some of my hair slipping into my face.

"I'm just speechless as to how beautiful you are."

"We should probably make a plan so that we can get out of here."

Luck looked a little disappointed that I hadn't gone into his pickup line. Normally I would've but we had more pressing concerns.

"Couldn't we just break out of the window?"

"I guess, but what if there are alarms or traps that will get triggered?"

"Beckie, I can run at the speed of lightning" Luck said smiling, as though I were stupid.

"Right. It's still a long way back, won't you use up a bunch of mana? And doesn't going slower use up even more?"

"Why would I go slower?"

"I'm not exactly as light as a feather."

"You're light as a feather to me, Beckie. When I hold you I feel like I'm carrying nothing."

"Maybe you're just strong."

"Either way, it doesn't make a difference."

"Let's go then?"

Luck walked over to the window and punched it hard. It shattered and a blaring alarm screamed. Luck ran over, picked me up and jumped through the window. And he ran. On the way home, I only just sank in, we'd escaped, we'd avoided death.

"Luck?" I looked up into his blue eyes.

"Mhm?" He replied concentrating on keeping his balance.

"Don't you think it was too easy?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like the windows weren't locked or anything, if you don't want people getting out, you'd do something against that."

"Beckie, I don't think it was meant to be a prison, that bony lady didn't know that we know that I die there. She probably wanted to lull us into a false sense of security."

"Maybe. But what if-"

"Then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Let's focus on getting home."

Luck sped up and came to a sudden break almost catapulting me out of his arms. Luckily I had held on tight enough that we only toppled over. We laughed ourselves silly. Apparently we were loud, because everyone burst out of the door.

"Luck? Beckie?" Noelle flung herself onto us.

"Noelle... Can't.... Breathe." I panted untangling myself from the pile.

"I was so scared." Noelle got up, giving me a hug again.

"Noelle?"

"You're my favourite junior." She said tears of joy running down her face.

"I'm the only junior."

"Well that helped. Just accept the compliment! I'm a royalty, I don't have to compliment you, you know!"

"We weren't even gone that long. It hasn't even been 24 hours."

"Yes, but we didn't know where you were."

Most of the day went by with everyone asking us over and over again what happened and how we had gotten out. We kept telling the story over and over again, leaving out a few details.