Chapter 5

"So… who is it?" Vanessa asked, suddenly making me jump out of my skin.

"What do you mean?" I replied genuinely confused.

"The other day, you said you think you're in love with someone, and I pretended I was going to ask him out, but I don't actually know who 'him' is," she explained herself.

"Well, there's just no way that he feels the same way."

"That's no reason not to tell me who it is."  Vanessa continued insistently.

"I mean you must care pretty deeply for him considering you wanted to kill me for suggesting going on a date with him."

"YOU WANTED TO WHAT?!" I shrieked, having completely forgotten the conversation that we had had the other day.

"Exactly what I mean~" Vanessa said in a singsong voice.

"But I can't be! I promised my mum that I'd only start dating when I have a stable income, besides I'm not 20 yet, so dating is out of the question."

"That is the worst logic I've ever heard," a posh but sympathetic voice rang out as Noelle entered and sat down opposite me and next to Vanessa.

"But I promised mum th-"

"You're a grown-up, Beckie! You can make your own decisions," Noelle exclaimed exasperated.

"But I've never done anything like this before!" I desperately tried to salvage the situation, but I was in too deep. There was no going back.

"That's the great thing about first loves. You get to try everything for the first time." Vanessa winked at me.

"But Luck's so cute! There's no way I'm his first," realizing what I'd done I clapped my hands over my mouth, but it was too late…

"Luck? I knew it!" They both cried.

"Finral!"

"Yes?" The spatial mage asked, popping his head through a portal.

"30 Yul please," Vanessa demanded with a hand outstretched.

Finral looked flabbergasted and looked over at me. My face turned as red as a tomato, at least.

"You promised me that I could be here for the confession!" He complained indignantly.

"It was a delicate process," Vanessa smiled slyly.

"Wait a minute, you guys knew all along?"

"Half. We knew you had a crush, we just weren't sure who the lucky man was. It was between Luck and Asta. Finral bet on Asta and we…" She gestured to Noelle and herself "... we bet on Luck."

"I don't believe it. How did you guys know?" I muttered.

"Oh innocent, innocent Beckie. It was as obvious as one plus one making two!"

Finral pulled his head back through and 'left', if you can call it that.

"So… how was the picnic?" Noelle asked, trying to sound casual.

"It was a picnic. Nothing more."

They looked at me dumbfounded.

"That's it?" Vanessa asked, clearly disappointed.

"But…" I started, deliberately drawing it out.

"What? WHAT?" They shrieked impatiently.

"He kissed me."

I could've sworn they fainted for half a second.

"It was only on the cheek as he was saying good night. As I said, nothing more. That was clearly meant as friends."

"Beckie, are you stupid? I don't go around every night kissing everyone on the cheek because we're such good friends. No-one goes around kissing friends good night. Besides, I'm a royalty, so I have no reason to kiss anyone," Noelle spoke up.

"Well what does it mean?"

Vanessa face-palmed and sighed.

"Seriously, how dense can one be?"

"He obviously likes you too!" Noelle said exasperated. 

As I was leaving I heard them whisper:

"Now we just have to get them to go on a date."

My heart beat faster at imagining being alone in a room with Luck Voltia. Maybe I really am in love.