chapter 1

Chapter 1

1808

England

7 years ago

It was early may, the crisp air of breeze hit her face as she glanced out the carriage watching the beautiful city of London, yet another destination. Mabel was just eight years old when her niece took her and from then they never lived comfortably in one place. There wasn't anything new with going from a city to city, it was a rutine that she should"ve been used to.

But it still caused a knot in her stomach every time they had to leave a place, it was as if mabel was holding on a string of hope that broke at last. She envied all the people who could call a place home, that word had never fitted somewhere for her.

An outcast, a loner, that's what fitted her.

Mabel glanced at her aunt who had a new strains of wrinkles and peaks of grey hair at the age of forty five, the result of her tough life that never gave her any rest. Mabel knew she could never take her aunt for granted, if it werent for her she probably would not live today.  she came in the most darkest moment of Mabels life, and for that she would always be thankful.

"You like this place" Beatrice regarded her with a smile as the carriage rolled In full speeds making all the people on the ro­ad look like ants, Mabel watched in amazement before answering, "How could I not.. London is London" the capital city of england with industrialization and new fabrics that was nothing she ever seen.

Beatrice chuckled, "indeed, that fact cant be ignored"

They traveled for so many hours that it felt like her ribs would break into two, "No don't you dare" Her aunt regarded her warningly as Mabel threw her a cheeky grin trying to loose the ties on the corsett, but it was impossible as Beatrice gripped her hand, "This is London, Mabel! you ought to behave properly or I have no doubts the family will let me keep the job" 

That caught the attention from Mabel to stop loosing the corsett, "A job?"

It was for a single second before Beatrice glanced at her in bewilderment before shaking her head, "I perhaps was not clear, that job you have in mind is not something a lady like me could get, a servant.. I will work as a serveant for a household"

Mabel realised a heavy breath, at least it was not like the job she thought. Everything is better than that job.

And It was as if Beatrice knew what went through her mind when she told her sharply, "It does not mean we can do what we want, I know you, when you get bored you tend to find fun but this household do not tolerate children who lurks"

Mabel sighed, "I am sixteen year old are you seriously categorising me as a kid?"

"In the eye of society you are one if not married"

Mabel snickered silently as the Carriage came to a halt, she wanted to badly input that she would not even lurk or do something, she had far better plans. It was only a matter of time before they took of again and left for another city or who knows this time? Maybe a new country. Mabel wondered when the timing to ever ask her aunt was right.

She did not want to look ungrateful, if her aunt told her to jump of a cliff she would do it for her.

they got off the carriage that hid the view of the place but when the footman gallopped with the horses leaving mud on the ground the place came in sight making Mabel take in a sharp intake of breath, holy cows. Her mouth was agape as beatrice grabbed the luggage, "There should be some map" she muttered under her breath before grabbing the rest of their baggages and heading towards the widen doors that held a mansion. Probably the king of england lived there, it is London after all.

But so far no king was in sight , they stumbled into a household worker who showed them a room politely, "Wait here I will come back" was all her aunt said to her before placing the baggaes into a little cold room far back into the halls of the third floor.

A curious excitement came to her, like a child seeking for fun.

It was like coming into an old museum only that it had rooms, the place did not utter a sound making Mabel somehow grateful, she would not feel attatched to this place.

As she took off her bonnet letting her short brown curly hair drap over her neck she started unpacking the clothes.

"God bless that man" Her aunt mumbled as she came back into the little bedchamber with a relieved smile on her lips, "Whats the matter?" Mabel turned and stoped midair folding her clothes when her aunt looked far to happy that it was almost scary, "He--- Viscount Grey let you not only stay here with me but he even offered tutoring"

Mabels big hazel eyes went wide as no words left her mouth, it was not something anyone in lowclase heard daily, "You mean to tell me I will be going to school?"

Beatrice shook her head and Mabel knew that was impossible, this is london for heavens sake if she could not be able to get into school in the lowparts of england how in the world could she—"You would be home tutored, apperantly the Viscount has a son who came back from university.."

Mabel was delightful, she could only imagine and dream of school, though it is not really a school envioriment she would still be learning.

She sighed dreamingly,"Oh aunt I cant wait!"

________________________________

  VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N: sorry for my lack of update! I have been occupied with homework and life :/. But I will update frequently from now on!