chapter 12

Chapter twelve

Mabel felt like living through a telescope, being watched by every movement she made, every word she said, and every breath she took. His gaze burned through her and it did not make anything easier when he sat so close beside her, her gown brushing against his legs.

She prayed for anyone to save her.. Six years, and he still had an overwhelming effect on her, god if it didn't hurt when he was gazing at her with a wave of emotions she tried reading. Although she was convinced he thought she wasn't mabel she knew he wasn't dumb, this was the man who was her teacher for heavens sake!. She was panicking inside, her identity could never be found out, she knew she had no other choice than return. But this ball season was barely a priority of hers, she came for her aunt.

She was draging the fork around her plate finding it impossible to swallow a single bite when her whole skin burned, a few of the men stood up after finishing their plates, or more it seemed licking it. She felt a twitch of guilt that they had all traveled for her sake, "My lady, you've barely touched the food, do you feel ill?"Annabelles voice cut the silence,  Mabel raised her head already feeling the piercing gaze from her left, heavens lord a hole would appear if he wouldn't stop staring! Hadn't he grown tired from it?

But if her heart wouldn't  thrump whenever his gaze swipt over her, feeling her cheeks get hotter if even that was possible she answered, "I—excuse me but I need to use the bathroom" she knew It was a coward move, a move that would make him even more doubtful on her parade, but she couldn't take it anymore

Without sparing a glance to the rather shocked Annabelle she rised out of her chair before departing with quick strides she came to the stairs and made sure to not do something embaressing by the shake of her nerves, she shouldn't be shocked when she found out he was the host, but my god if she wasn't ready on what six year did to him.

His once charming looks had gone brooding but sinfully good looking on him, his chiseled face and handsome face had not left his apperance.

Just as she was about to slam the door shut on what was the guest room she had awoken from a hand gripped her and by the rough fingers she hadnt need to gues, "My lord? What has flew into---" her words came to halt as he swung her around without a warning so her back slammed on the cold wodden wall of the door, his towering height making her feel like an ant, his know muscular body cradling her into the tiny space by his hands trapping her on either side beside her head, then he meet her gaze, unblinkly he watched and she took her time taking him in from a personal close space, his jaw ticked, "This playacting is beneath even you" from the once longing look in his eyes he was watching her like a deer ready to attack its prey.

But Mabel knew she had changed a lot in years, from going from a homless person to having luxuries that changed her whole apperance, she knew she had to just thread carefully in making him believe that he is imagining things.

With a wave of confidence she didn't let his height overtake her, instead of shreiking back she lifted her head making them face to face with her nose almost touching his by the was he was tilting his head, "I do not know what your issue is my lord,  perhaps you had a sleepless night and are imagining things, mayhap I resemble someone, trust me I have heard it tons" She gave a pitying look which he regarded with a cocky smirk, her breath hitched at the new sizzling feeling that seemed to linger in the air around them, "Is that so? Then forgive me my lady, I indeed slept bad, I have acted as nothing of a gentleman, let me reedem myself, if you will allow I would like to accompany you, after all  as the host----" Mabel gulped trying to hide the shock from her voice when she cut in, "That wont be necesarry, my lord"

She swore she could see a glimmer of amusment running through his eyes, before he sardonically said "It is the least I can do for my behaviour"

"You are forgiven my lord—" she continued but he input, "I insist,"

And Mabel would've defintely finish this heated conversation that was more likely turning into an argument, but she was Stephanie.. A well behaved lady. With a smile that was so forced making her teeth grind into each other she told him, "If you insist, I have no word in it"

She wondered why he hadnt moved when he belived she was not Mabel, no he only held her gaze looking like he would find answers, Mabel held his stare praying to god her eyes was not like an open book to her soul where he could see all of her lies. With a grin lifting the corner of his lips he took a step back, "Farewell, lady Stephanie" the way he said her name made her shiver inside.

VOTE AND COMMENT